The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Driver Side Axle Leakage

Showing results 1 to 7 of 7

Driver Side Axle Leakage

it has leaked some sort of greasy fluid all over my inner wheels and wheel well. and it looks as if the boot may be broken or cracked but i cant really tell. is this common in galants? could it have been done when the struts were installed? should i take the car off the rode immediately?
    RIP GALANT, GOOD MORNING BMW 330i

330i ZSP (E90) - S4 (B5) / hellaflush

as long u don't hear any clicking noise when u turn to you right or left (not sure which side) ur still ok. but as soon as possible get ur cv boot replace before you damage ur whole axle.

i have mine leaking for months and even torn already and still drives it. i got it replaced already and now there's a crack again on the cv boot... sucks.
    I'm selling my G

Experienced TGC Member
    take it to the dealership and get it look at.... Don't u still have the warranty on ur whip???

You are here entirely tooo much!! 4-G-rim's Avatar
    Depends how long your boot has been busted. If it hasn't been that long and contamination of the axle is very minimal then you can get away with just replacing the boot. Though in most cases after the boot has busted...alot of people aren't aware till its too late. You most likely have to replace the whole axle. Good Luck

1991 Galant VR4 1948/2000_________1996 Galant "S" 5 speed 2.4L turbo

its only been for a short time, i think it happened when i got my front struts installed at good year. i took the wheel off and had a look at it and my brake line hits the boot right where it has split open. its only been like this for maybe a month and i told goodyear about it and they said they'd replace it for me since its their error
    RIP GALANT, GOOD MORNING BMW 330i

330i ZSP (E90) - S4 (B5) / hellaflush

sucks... now i need to get my axle replace, it broke the other day. yeah bec. of my laziness that i waited too long for me to replace my torn cv boot. now the axle broke. :evil:
    I'm selling my G

Don't wait fix it now. No sense in having the axle break or sieze up and not even be able to drive the car. Not to mention even if the boot is ripped for a short period of time the axle is shot.

Btw, its easier and less labor intensive (not to mention you actually get a warranty) by replacing the entire axle shaft.