The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Multiple Codes, Help me troubleshoot (Solved)

Showing results 1 to 6 of 6
    Experienced TGC Member Kalamidad's Avatar

Multiple Codes, Help me troubleshoot (Solved)

So i tried to solve this problem and couldn't so i'm turning to you guys for help.

Ok, so two weeks back, the car starts hesitating while at cruising speed, and starts shutting off at idle.

it had been hesitating when i take off normally in the past, but never nothing serious.

So i decide to turn around and get stuck on some serious traffic where the car starts to shut off every minute. and POW SES light came on.

I get the read and get four codes.

P0120 - Throttle position sensor malfunction

P0300 - (twice) Random misfire

P0421 - Cat not reaching threshold (or something to that effect)

I know i was gettting the P0421 code because the plug on one of my 02 sensors was cracked. Fix.

P0120 - I'm assuming i got because of all the vibration from the car shutting off and starting back up from the traffic Jam so i'm ignoring that for now.

Here's my problem

P0300 - Ordered two new coilpack but they have not come in, i put my sister's coil packs on my car, same year and model, the car stays on, but when i go to change gears, the car shuts off. The idle is not as smooth as i would like it to be neither.

Any ideas? could that last problem be directly connected to the P0120 Code?

I'm counting on you guys.
    -Pedro

Re: Multiple Codes, Help me troubleshoot

Ok, so upon discussing this issue with DOHCtuner, we've come to the conclusion that the P0120, P0300, and the shutting down when i shift may all be due to a malfuction in the throttle body. I'm gonna be replacing it since i happen to have an extra one laying around.

ANY THOUGHTS.
    -Pedro

well, most likely the TPS itself. check the connections. if whomever replaced your intake manifodl didnt reuse the metal clip that holds the wiring harness to the tps, then it might have wiggled off causeing your issues.

Its not out of this world for a tps to fail. but i haven't myself seen many cases on the newer mitsu's. i know that some of the aging 1g and 2g eclipses they fail from time to time.

good luck

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

ALright, replaced the Throttle Body and the TPS. The car started right up and seemed smooth for the first 10 minutes until it died suddenly.

The idle seems fine, but it will just die with no warning. I'm starting to think this might be a timing problem. What do you guys think? The CEL are not on yet because the car has had the battery disconnected for two weeks. It died on me once while on the street, right after a right hand turn at about 23 mph. It sometimes has difficulty starting. It really does seem like the timing is not write. The engine is pretty shaky.

i will try to get video tonight.
    -Pedro

Problem solved.

Replaced Coilpacks, spark plugs, throttle body, and TPS.

Noticed a ground wire on the engine harness was disconnected too (fixed that)

She purs.
    -Pedro

Experienced TGC Member
    Glad to see u back in action Pedro