The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Acceleration vibration?

Showing results 1 to 9 of 9

Acceleration vibration?

I bought my G8 at 62K miles and have put on 3500. When I bought it I nitices a slight shimmy when I accelerated from 0 - 30 mph. As I pay closer attention I notice that at higher speeds (above 50 mph) when I accelerate hard I can feel a higher frequency shimmy but not as pronounced as the low speed one. I tried the "turn the wheel hard" test to see if the CV joints clicked but quiet as a mouse.

Anyone ever had worn CV joints but no noise? I am also wonderin if it could be a motor mount?

On a funny note: My turn signal blinked real fast. I thought that it was a bulb connection but it now will blink fast and normal off and on. I think that it is haunted.
    2002 ES, V6, 140K

Worn control arm bushings.

Experienced TGC Member

Re: Acceleration vibration?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(shadow83)</div><div class='quotemain'>
    On a funny note: Â*My turn signal blinked real fast. Â*I thought that it was a bulb connection but it now will blink fast and normal off and on. Â*I think that it is haunted. Â* </div>

mine does the same also

On a funny note: Â*My turn signal blinked real fast. Â*I thought that it was a bulb connection but it now will blink fast and normal off and on. Â*I think that it is haunted. Â* </div>

first thing i'd do is make sure the bulb connections are good. then i'd check the socket to make sure the terminals aren't corroded.

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

TGC Regular

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pvu_rida)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(shadow83)</div><div class='quotemain'>

mine does the same also</div>

Take out your bulb and clean the terminal with a pencil eraser. both on the bulb and the inside of the socket where the metal touches and makes the connection. This should solve the problem, its a weak connection.

Need some paint or bodywork done in Chicagoland or NW Indiana???.. http://www.alsautobodyexperts.com/

You are here entirely tooo much!! 4-G-rim's Avatar

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(shadow83)</div><div class='quotemain'>I bought my G8 at 62K miles and have put on 3500. Â*When I bought it I nitices a slight shimmy when I accelerated from 0 - 30 mph. Â*As I pay closer attention I notice that at higher speeds (above 50 mph) when I accelerate hard I can feel a higher frequency shimmy but not as pronounced as the low speed one. Â*I tried the "turn the wheel hard" test to see if the CV joints clicked but quiet as a mouse.

Anyone ever had worn CV joints but no noise? Â*I am also wonderin if it could be a motor mount?
    </div>

It could be your CV joint...if the outer boot fails you will get the clicking noise because the joint in the outer boot will make that noise. There are 2 boots usually on a CV axle..the outer (Which I just mentioned) and the inner (Closest to the transmission). Usually when the boot fails on the inner one...you will get vibration at higher speeds. I know...my inner boot on my right side CV axle on my 7g busted a couple of weeks ago.

Now if you boots are fine on both CV axles it could be as simple as your wheels needing to be rebalanced. Wheel weights DO and CAN fall off the wheel causing the wheel to be unbalanced and you will get vibration. I would also check the tires too ..if there is any seperation or flat spots on the tire..it will results in vibration too usually associated with noise.

Now if both the CV axles and wheels/tires are balanced and you are still experiencing vibration I would check your suspension component bushings. The upper, lower arms. I would check if the outer tie rod is still good too. Good Luck!

1991 Galant VR4 1948/2000_________1996 Galant "S" 5 speed 2.4L turbo

Thanks for all of the info.

My initial complaint is not a high speed vibration like out of balance. I have a little of that and am getting new tires, but it is a completely different feel. Remember, when I accelerate from a dead stop I get a shimmy (not a lot) when under power ONLY up to about 30 mph. I also notice a higher frequency shimmy at highway speeds ONLY when accelerating. The wheel balance vibration is noticibly different. Some times I think that it is a curse to have this "road feel".

Good suggestion about the bushings. I assume you check them for movement the same as with a rear wheel drive, a big honkin screwdriver. I kinda think that it is an inner CV joint though. All of my boots are intact (no tears) but I get a gentle pull to the right on the highway. When I get my tires I will get an alignment as well.

I also have a Jeep Cherokee 2WD 4L. I have owned it for almost 10 years and put 100k miles on it (it has 215k) and have NEVER had to have the front end aligned. It goes straight as an arrow when my hands are off. But then I live in South Florida, not a Yankee pothole state.

THis is my first front wheel drive car, damn they fight you. I am guessing that there is a lot to get used to different from a rear wd.

The turn signal is just spooky. I cleaned all connectors and bulbs and it still has a mind of its own. These are the things that make our vehicles unique.
    2002 ES, V6, 140K

Good suggestion about the bushings. Â*I assume you check them for movement the same as with a rear wheel drive, a big honkin screwdriver. Â*I kinda think that it is an inner CV joint though. Â*All of my boots are intact (no tears) but I get a gentle pull to the right on the highway. Â*When I get my tires I will get an alignment as well.</div>

If it pulls under acceleration its almost 100% your control arm bushings. You don't really even have to test for movement, you can visually see the bushings torn out of the control arm. At this point you will most likely have to replace the control arm, not just the bushing.