The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: inner tie rod end

Showing results 1 to 7 of 7

inner tie rod end

how do I change my inner tie rod ends?
    how much time does the manual call for changing the inner tie rods?
    thanks

A good mechanic can do it in less than one hour. A relatively easy repair, just make sure you don't tear the bellows boot on the P/S rack.

First of all you will have to loosen the jamnuts, then remove the cotter pin and hex nut holding the outer tierod on. Next you can unthread the outer tierod, and remove the adjusting sleeve. There may be a clamp on the bellows boot on the P/S rack, remove that, then you can unthread or rather remove the inner tierod.

Reverse the process to reinstall.

Truthfully, for as little labor there is I'd pay a mechanic to take care of it than align the vehicle in less than 2 hours tops.

thanks man!
    my mechanic told me he would charge me ~$300 with no alignment. He supported his position by stating that there is a lot of labot invloved...
    so I was thinking of doing it myself....
    what tools do i need?

Experienced TGC Member
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(murlopaz)</div><div class='quotemain'>thanks man!
    my mechanic told me he would charge me ~$300 with no alignment. He supported his position by stating that there is a lot of labot invloved...
    so I was thinking of doing it myself....
    what tools do i need?</div>

if you have really no mechanical work experience or anything relative to working on a car, I would find another mechanic.
    -Chris

i called some mechanic yesterday and he told me it takes ***4.2 hours*** to change the inner tire rods...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(murlopaz)</div><div class='quotemain'>i called some mechanic yesterday and he told me it takes ***4.2 hours*** to change the inner tire rods...</div>

Thats WAY wrong. Two hours tops, and a good mechanic can do it in half that time.

anybody from the Baltimore area? maybe you can recommend me a good mechanic ?