The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: cant open trunk

Showing results 1 to 18 of 18
    You are here entirely tooo much!! fatal1's Avatar

cant open trunk

whats up i have a little problem my key doesnt work for my trunk (never did since i boought it) anyway the trunk release latch doesnt work i went shopping to get some tools for work and my friend came threw everything in the tunk and maybee something hit the release switch maybee not but is there another way to open the trunk without either?

a little irony i was getting my inspection the other week and asked my mechanic to fix the lock or put a new one so i can release the latch but i guess he forgot because i tried the key when i got it back and still no good

its an 01 8g without the trunk release on the remote

thanks

Experienced TGC Member Kalamidad's Avatar
    well, for the sake of getting it opened so you can work on it, you can have a kid or thin person climb inside the trunk through the door on the rear passanger seats and unscrew the bottom latch off the car...that can be done with a socket wreng, i think a 10mm, or a phillips head screw driver. Then you can look into replacing whatever needs to be replaced. I would also sugguest getting your hands on a 99-00 trunk since they too have the key hole assembly.

you can also take off the seat to get inside the trunk...but that's a little more work.
    -Pedro

TGC Regular
    If the key never worked since you got it and the release latch is not working, how did you get it open before?

try to pull off the plastic cover of the latch by your drivers seat. if you can get that off you can see how it works and maybe open it from there. at my work sometimes people give us their valet key and they lock that trunk switch. i just pry the plastic back and pull the cable maually. we do need to get inot your trunk to tint your windows on most cars.

ok yea ill try that thanks for the info ill try to do something this weekend the trunk release used to work the key never did and when my car got broken into i asked my mechainc when he was replacing the window to change the lock and do the inspection i guess he never changed the lock though

Quote Originally Posted by Kalamidad
    well, for the sake of getting it opened so you can work on it, you can have a kid or thin person climb inside the trunk through the door on the rear passanger seats and unscrew the bottom latch off the car...that can be done with a socket wreng, i think a 10mm, or a phillips head screw driver. Then you can look into replacing whatever needs to be replaced. I would also sugguest getting your hands on a 99-00 trunk since they too have the key hole assembly.

you can also take off the seat to get inside the trunk...but that's a little more work.
    If you're going to do that, just direct the person to the glow in the dark release switch inside the trunk. Tell them to pull it and it should pop open, Yes its there(on my 02,anyways)

the 99-01 didn't have the safety release

first thing i'd do is hold the trunk release up and get someoen to open the trunk. that might work.

if you can get in the trunk from the back seat. look where the lock will be and you'll see the linkage that goes to the trunk latch. movfe the trunk linkage and the trunk should open

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

maybe you have the valet key. is your key grey instead of black?? and also, i have an 01 but it has a key hole in the trunk.
    RIP GALANT, GOOD MORNING BMW 330i

330i ZSP (E90) - S4 (B5) / hellaflush

Push that speaker box out of the way and get in there. Hope it works out for you. 8)

actually since you said that
    the grey key is the one im using that one doesnt work in the trunk is this the valet key (was never told when i bought the car a year and a half ago)? is it supposed to work in the trunk lol please tell me it is so i dont feel like that big of an ass

actually since you said that
    the grey key is the one im using that one doesnt work in the trunk is this the valet key (was never told when i bought the car a year and a half ago)? is it supposed to work in the trunk lol please tell me it is so i dont feel like that big of an ass

TGC Regular
    The valet key does'nt open the glove box or the trunk

yeah man, if you do have a black key, try those
    RIP GALANT, GOOD MORNING BMW 330i

330i ZSP (E90) - S4 (B5) / hellaflush

Experienced TGC Member o1naturalhigh's Avatar
    AHAHAHAHA....

where's one of them good "owned" pics at right now???

ok so for some reason my trunk just said Fuck U I aint opening no more... i thought something was stuck btn the latch n the lock like piece of paper or something.. so me n my friend removed the seat climbed in and moved the black piece a lil and bam it opened.... it took us freakin long azzz time coz i had a suitcase in the trunk my sub n my tools so it was forever we got it fixed
    anywaz now the problem

we assembled back everything... n now i have the same freakin problem i made sure it was working before we closed it... is there a easier way or do i have to go thru the same process for opening it....??????
    <span style='font-size:22pt;line-height:100%'>Geaux Tigers!!!!!!</span>

Quote Originally Posted by wannabee
    ok so for some reason my trunk just said Fuck U I aint opening no more... i thought something was stuck btn the latch n the lock like piece of paper or something.. so me n my friend removed the seat climbed in and moved the black piece a lil and bam it opened.... it took us freakin long azzz time coz i had a suitcase in the trunk my sub n my tools so it was forever we got it fixed
    anywaz now the problem

we assembled back everything... n now i have the same freakin problem i made sure it was working before we closed it... is there a easier way or do i have to go thru the same process for opening it....??????
    you can give a kid five bucks to climp in through the window on the back seat and take it off. Also, take off that black peace. You don't really need it. It's mostly cosmetic.
    -Pedro

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Kalamidad)</div><div class='quotemain'>

you can give a kid five bucks to climp in through the window on the back seat and take it off. Â*Also, take off that black peace. Â*You don't really need it. Â*It's mostly cosmetic.</div>

how does one climp??

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pinoyesv6)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Kalamidad)</div><div class='quotemain'>

you can give a kid five bucks to climp in through the window on the back seat and take it off. Â*Also, take off that black peace. Â*You don't really need it. Â*It's mostly cosmetic.</div>

how does one climp??</div>

ha ha, you really felt you needed to post to point that out??lol

CLIMB
    -Pedro