The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: SAFC II Baseline settings

Showing results 1 to 13 of 13
    M&T Designs

SAFC II Baseline settings

Well I am going to be installing my 450cc injectors and my 255lph fuel pump, and I am wondering what are some good baseline settings for lo and hi maps. I have looked around, and I need around -35% on the low, and have the hi somewhere around -25%.

Do these sound about right? I don't have a datalogger, or a wideband. Should I wait until my wideband/egt guage shows up? I'm just really looking to install these new parts, and I want some performance in the mean time. I also don't want to mess anything up. I am giving it more fuel, so how could it run lean anyway?

Still waiting for my Turbo, manifold, and oil lines.

The 4g63t swap fell though because my buddy who was parting out his Laser got an offer for the whole car for 3000$. So I'm boosting my 4g64, swapping in some low compression pistons, and porting the head.

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    Going to be hard to say. Since your NA at the time being, running without wideband or a way to log the narrowband, we cant really give you any information. I would assume you would want to be a lot leaner then -30 if your NA on those 450s. If you plan on running like this for awhile, definitely get it on a dyno with a wideband sniffere and see if you can get it descently tuned how it is now. That will be your best bet and will probably cost around $60 for 3 pulls if you tune it yourself, or $120+ if you have a shop do the tuning.
    7g for life!

Experienced TGC Member

Re: SAFC II Baseline settings

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(M&T Designs)</div><div class='quotemain'>I am giving it more fuel, so how could it run lean anyway? </div>

True but you will find out what rich knock is and your computer will be pulling timing on you so your car will be even slower than it is now. Get a obd2 pocketlogger setup for your car. I have one and it is the best dam self tuning tool in the market.
    ASE Certified Master Automotive Tech
    2000 Galant ES = Daily Driver
    1996 Galant Turbo + 5 speed & lsd = fun ****SOLD****
    1992 Galant VR-4 #372/1000 Kensington Grey ***SOLD***

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    ^ No. It is a great logging system. But it will only log the stock narrowband which isnt accurate. If you want an amazing tuning system that allows you to tune one the fly and basically change 100% of the ECUs code, check out the Ostrich ECM Emulator. Basically emulates an EPROM chip and allows you to make changes to any of the ECUs code on the fly using Tunerpro RT:

http://www.moates.net/ostrich-real-time-ec...il-71-p-57.html

Its like DSM Link + some for $175, you cant beat that with a stick! And some 94-96 Galant ECUS are socketed for EPROM already. So you just need to do some work and get the 94-96 ECU file and go to town.
    7g for life!

Experienced TGC Member
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(seth98esT)</div><div class='quotemain'>some 94-96 Galant ECUS are socketed for EPROM already</div>

Is there a list of ecu # to tell if you have one or is it like a dsm that the last letter will be "E"

Experienced TGC Member
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(seth98esT)</div><div class='quotemain'>^ No. It is a great logging system. Â*But it will only log the stock narrowband which isnt accurate.</div>

You don't really use o2 voltage since all sensors read different. You just get the o2 voltage to give you a place to start leaning things out (.94). Then you use timing and rpm to tell you when you reach knock. Also a exhaust gas temp guage to tell you when your going to lean.

M&amp;T Designs
    Well I was planning on running it NA with the upgraded fuel system for about a week.

I'm very interested about my ECU possibly being eprom ready. I had a hard enough time wiring in my safc let alone pulling the ecu itself. Any idea how to get it out?

M&amp;T Designs
    Ok, I got my AEM wideband, my SAFC II, 450s with resistor pack, Ralliart FPR, and a walbro 255lph fuel pump. What should I set the SAFC at for my first start up? I am thinking somewhere around -40. What should my A/F ratio be?

My 14b and FMIC are on the way so I want to get the car running with the upgraded fuel system now. I am putting in the wideband, the injectors, and the pump tomorrow. My turbo and FMIC should be here by next week. I'm so close to having boost.

Also, what can I do to monitor knock? Can I wire up a knock censor from an eclipse? How good is the MSD knock censor?

Quote Originally Posted by M&T Designs
    Ok, I got my AEM wideband, my SAFC II, 450s with resistor pack, Ralliart FPR, and a walbro 255lph fuel pump. What should I set the SAFC at for my first start up? I am thinking somewhere around -40. What should my A/F ratio be?

My 14b and FMIC are on the way so I want to get the car running with the upgraded fuel system now. I am putting in the wideband, the injectors, and the pump tomorrow. My turbo and FMIC should be here by next week. I'm so close to having boost.

Also, what can I do to monitor knock? Can I wire up a knock censor from an eclipse? How good is the MSD knock censor?
    well....
    if you have a wideband
    start at zero

and tune your idle for a/f ratio

simple as that

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

M&amp;T Designs
    Oh, I was under the impression that running bigger injectors need a big compensation or the engine could pre-ignite.

Thanks for the quick response.

Quote Originally Posted by M&T Designs
    Oh, I was under the impression that running bigger injectors need a big compensation or the engine could pre-ignite.

Thanks for the quick response.
    nah it will start just fine
    might idle rough and will definatly idle rich.
    make sure you have your base fuel pressure set where you want it.
    i would start with slightly less fuel pressure than stock(3 or 4 psi less), so you won't have to lean things out so much on the safc2(leaning causes an advance in timing with the safc2 which you don't want necceserily)

after that, just tune your idle, then tune your part throttle, then tune your wot.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

M&amp;T Designs
    Awesome. I am feeling a lot better about this whole thing. Tuning doesn't seem to hard after all.

I am learning too~ Although a lot of this is sounding greek to me. I dont think I know enough about fuel mapping and A/F ratios. You think whatever the car is running at at the time of installation will suffice til i get it to a dyno shop to have them tune it? P.S. I aint biisting yet but I wanna know for when the time comes

"Why fart and waste it when you can burp and taste it!"