The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: STS Remote Mounted Turbo

Showing results 1 to 12 of 12

STS Remote Mounted Turbo

Hey have any of you guys see/heard of this company. It seems from their website that their claim to fame is remote mounting the turbo in the downstream exhaust. The concept is nothing new, just wondering what everyone's thoughts on this?

http://www.ststurbo.com

Design Schematic

Installation STS twin turbo on 2005 Mustang GT
    Mayonnaise colored Benz---I push Miracle Whips
    -K. West

Interesting... would like to know more as well if anyone has any personal experience...

Experienced TGC Member
    so does it really work?

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    Idk about those kits. I would only think they would be in-efficient and there would be a lot of pressure drop due to all the piping. I have heard they put down descent numbers but I havent seen any dyno charts or anything.

They look cool, and would be a lot cooler of a place to run a turbo, but a turbo works on heat really. Also having a turbo just sittign under your car, I would only think it would be a matter of time before it gets banged up and something gets damaged.

Its not complicated at all. Basically bolts to your exhaust just like any other turbo, but it bolts to the end of your exhaust instead of in the engine bay right at the manifold. So technically you could run stock exhaust and just bolt the turbo to the end of the exhaust. Still have to route teh intercooler piping all the way to the front of the car to the intercooler then to the throttle body. Only thing this kit changes is the location of the turbo.

Im not sure how much it would affect the flow of the turbo, but wouldnt the exhaust pulses be exiting much slower at the end of the exhaust vs right at manifold?
    7g for life!

Experienced TGC Member
    Umm...wouldnt mounting something that generates that much heat, so close to the gas tank be kinda dangerous??? And how is a Turbo supposed to generate more power if its at the end of the exhaust system? Does it suck more air into the engine by being placed at the end of the exhaust pipes? In other words, does it act like a vacuum?

Actually with a rear mounted set up like the one above you dont need an intercooler.
    Love,
    Matt

I would think it would be a waste since you would have all that extra piping and you would lose some pressure of the exhaust goin through after having passed the cat and then having to go all the way back up front. But if it does work good, then that would be a cool place to put it, its different and it gives you extra room in the engine bay. Nice setup for a sleeper!!

Lo§'s 99 GTZ

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    Im not sure about not running an intercooler, I still would think you would want a small intercooler. But with the pressure drop, I dont think it would be worth the cost of the setup for low boost.

Think about it, with a normal turbo setup and FMIC pressure drop is usually about 1-2psi. So running 15psi at the turbo, by the time the air gets to the throttle body it will be down to 13-14psi. And thats with short route piping. WIth this setup, with all the extra length it has to travel, pressure drop would be more severe. I dont have numbers so I am not going to pull numbers out of my butt, but it would be a bigger number then a normal setup.
    7g for life!

yeah I was thinking there would probably be some definite performance drops with the turbo that far away. I also really questioned the placement of the air filter, if you look at the pics, it seems a little bit of rain/puddles/road debris and/or other and your whole system would be f-ed. It seems like a decent idea though if you weren't really all about huge numbers and just wanted a little more umph in your ride. It would probably cost much more for pipe fabrication though, and I don't think that there's that much room under the G...

About the turbo working on heat, don't you want the coolest air coming in, considering when you compress the air it will heat up. If you can get a cooler charge, you can get more air in.
    Mayonnaise colored Benz---I push Miracle Whips
    -K. West

slwdwn3g
    I actually called STS they sell a universal kit for $3125 includes turbo and housing for exhaust, oil pump and oil system, boost controller and BOV, all you need is fuel pump injectors piping and tuning. They said that with the 3.0 they have a turbo taht would boost aroun 2000rpm. The piping for this system would run you about $200 at an exhaust shop. Its a great idae if you want to stay emmisions legal and dont want to fool with turbo manifold and all that.

yeah i have seen this system around for awhile now. it was origanly designed for the f-body camaro/firebird ls1 engine. after an article carcraft magazine(or one of those not sure which one) the became pretty popular and started making other kits....i would imagine that being so far away would cause an even bigger turbo lag that what is out there now and also it seemed to give some decent performance to a v8 but i dont think it will be a good performer on smaller v6 and i4 engines....i am on vacation right now but on my home pc i have a link to a bad ass set up on a firebird(actually i think i got the link from here somewhere) anyway just my thoughts on it
    01 Galant ES V6 R.I.P
    ROB
    U.S ARMY...THANX FOR YOUR SUPPORT

7G_Beater
    One of the offroad mags had an article on this, they installed it on a Toyota Tacoma... it was interesting. Not sure if I would want to do this myself.