The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Kamikazi Or RPW Header on a cali spec I-4 Galant

Showing results 1 to 12 of 12
    toc8g

Kamikazi Or RPW Header on a cali spec I-4 Galant

I want a header for my 2002 I-4 Cali spec Galant but I am always wondering about the 02 sensor on the header and where it will bolt on in the bottom area.
    From what I understand about the rpw is in order for it to be a direct bolt on I need to buy the high flow cat is that right? Also do I have to add the 02 sensor on myself thats directly on our oem exhaust manifold? If I do'nt buy the High flow cat will it bolt on directly using the flex pipe? And as for the 02 sensor down by the main cat converter does that need to be bothered with? Or only if I get the high flow cat? The reason I want the RPW is because they see to look nicer and they bring out the lower end hp also they have a longer runner. Oh yeah and if I do have to add the 02 sensor on the actual header isn't that kinda fucked up?

Now as far as the Kamikazi how does that header feel? I heard that it was a direct bolt on for the 2002 I-4 unlike the 2000 or 2001 cali specs? I know its less expensive but whats the deal with that one?

Also on both sets of headers does the light come on at all are their any problems with the 02 sensors? I know a SAFC is nice to have but how much extra power or help does the SAFC do?

Anyhow guys thanks for the help I really want to know because I plan real hard to buy a header real soon.

I got the Kamikaze headers and yes I could tell the difference right away. I got alot more mid-range power. Doesn't help in low-end though. As far as the SES light going off, yes it will go off unless you remount the O2 sensor after the main cat. Oh, this is for a 4cyl, I dunno about the 6cyl.
    2001 Galant ES I4
    Injen RD CAI
    Kamikaze Headers
    Brospeed Prosport Muffler
    Brembo X-drilled/Slotted Rotors
    Progress Springs
    KYB AGX Adjustables
    Racing X Headlights
    Smoked Tails
    Custom Grill
    Titanium Limo Tint
    MOMO Shift Knob
    Tenzo R Mean-6 18"
    JBL 600.1
    2 JL 12W3 D4 in topfire custom box

My ride: http://photos.yahoo.com/nrg_neo

I have a 2002 ES I4, I just bought some Kamikaze Chrome Headers. Hopefully I'll get them by the end of the week, I'll let you know how the install goes and all.

NRG, when they installed your headers do you know if any new seals were put in between the headers and the engine or between the flexpipe and headers?
    Chapin y Boriqua que mezcla

No, the original gasket was used. But before you put it on, I would like to inform you of something. The header is actually 2.5" inlet and our stock piping is 2.25" inlet. So that means the part where the header joins to the flex pipe doesn't match. Although it still can fit, there will be turbulence caused by the pressure hitting the side of the flange. As you should know, there is an extreme amount of pressure coming from that manifold so that turbulence can actually lower the performance. I would try to think of a way to merge the two sizes seamlessly. Maybe an exhaust shop can fix this problem.
    2001 Galant ES I4
    Injen RD CAI
    Kamikaze Headers
    Brospeed Prosport Muffler
    Brembo X-drilled/Slotted Rotors
    Progress Springs
    KYB AGX Adjustables
    Racing X Headlights
    Smoked Tails
    Custom Grill
    Titanium Limo Tint
    MOMO Shift Knob
    Tenzo R Mean-6 18"
    JBL 600.1
    2 JL 12W3 D4 in topfire custom box

My ride: http://photos.yahoo.com/nrg_neo

Toc, I can't speak to the I-4, but I can address the V6. The RPW headers are a direct bolt on if you get the high flow cat. If you choose to keep your stock cat, you'll have to cut the pipe, as the stock cat on the V6 isn't flanged at the flex pipe end. It's one cut and then weld a flange on it to hook up to the headers flex pipe. All the bungs are there depending on whether you have a fed or cali spec. You'll need to extend one O2 sensor about 20 inches, but you won't need to add another one. I've never ever tripped the SES light since the day my headers were installed. They're holding up really well, and I just recently wrapped them with some DEI thermal wrap to keep the heat in the engine bay down and to protect them from the elements. I'd say RPW all the way, from both a design standpoint and most importantly the customer support aspect. Just my opinion.

Chip
    Chip

2000 Basalt Black Metallic GTZ
    (Paint Code: Porsche LC9Z)

Genuine experience carries a lot more credibility than the ability to answer a question.

toc8g
    Thanks for the replys guys! I really appreciate it. Yeah keep me informed as to how the install goes. Chip good info,....I just wish you new about the I-4 too Anyhow guys let me know,..keep the info comming! Thanks!

I'm interested in this topic as well. Let us know how the Kamikaze install goes. Also, there was some talk of a AMSS header for the eclipse RS/GS on the eclipse forums, but I'm not sure if it's coming. I'll e-mail them and ask.
    1999 2.4l
    - AEM Short Ram with Blitz Sonic Air Filter
    - Magnecore Wires & Denso Iridium Plugs
    - Throttle Body rebored by ProFlow
    - Throttle Body Coolant Bypass
    - Throttle Cable adjustment
    - Freedom Design Strut Bar
    - Tein Springs
    - KYB AGX setting 1
    Exterior:
    - 2nd Gen JDM Tails
    - New rear 02 Molding
    - Debadged Mitsubishi lettering

TOC, I'd probably go with the RPW's b/c of the reason stated, longer runners to keep the torque down low. NRG is right about the Kamakazi shorty headers in that it shifts the power curve higher up, taking away low end torque.

In either case, both have problems if you don't buy the DP/HFC also. I'm not sure what each one offers but my point is second O2 sensor bung. I think both companies have their own second O2 sensor relocation but don't know if it's located in the DP/HFC section. Anyway, just make sure you don't just get the headers which ever system you go with and get the whole thing that includes the relocation of the O2 sensor after the cat.

You'll probably also need to extend the O2 sensor wires and not sure if they include that too. Anyway, if need be, just go to your local electronics store and pick up some 18AWG multi-strand (4 strands needed) shielded wire to do the extension and don't forget to also pick up some heat shrink tubing to do a professional job.

One final note and not sure if this applies to the I4's but on the V6, there is an EGR pipe that goes from the exhaust pipe to the intake manifold. If you do have an EGR pipe, then that needs to be addressed. You can just put a plate to cover this but make sure not completely covered as it needs to breathe.

I'm not sure if AMSS has a header for the I4 and would call to make sure. www.amsspower.com It's listed on the site but not sure if it's in production yet.

[size=10]<span style='color:white'>. . . .</span>

Quote Originally Posted by NRG
    The header is actually 2.5" inlet and our stock piping is 2.25" inlet. So that means the part where the header joins to the flex pipe doesn't match. ...................... I would try to think of a way to merge the two sizes seamlessly. Maybe an exhaust shop can fix this problem.
    Hey NRG did you do some mod to merge them together or did you just leave it that way it was? I was thinking if the outlet of the header is 2.5" then why not make the whole exhaust 2.5"? But would I loose back pressure anyway?
    Chapin y Boriqua que mezcla

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo
    Quote Originally Posted by NRG
    The header is actually 2.5" inlet and our stock piping is 2.25" inlet. So that means the part where the header joins to the flex pipe doesn't match. ...................... I would try to think of a way to merge the two sizes seamlessly. Maybe an exhaust shop can fix this problem.
    Hey NRG did you do some mod to merge them together or did you just leave it that way it was? I was thinking if the outlet of the header is 2.5" then why not make the whole exhaust 2.5"? But would I loose back pressure anyway?
    Yes he can change the rest of the system to 2.5" piping to match but the problem is not back pressure... it's exhaust velocity. The bigger you go, the less velocity you have and that equates to loss of performance. But his point was the transition from 2.5" to 2.25" piping is an abrupt change and causes turbulence which isn't very good. Besides, he's N/A now and needs a reason to go all 2.5" piping..... hint, hint..... can someone say "Got NOS". :mrgreen:

[size=10]<span style='color:white'>. . . .</span>

I Will take my RPWs to my Grave. I just got mine on and I got no SES light. Easy Install. So Much Torque the Chassis twisted coming off the line. Oh....wrong site. Anyway I am really impressed with these Headers for the I-4 My Muffler got it when we fired it up. I blew one of my baffles just starting up the Car so I have to get a new muffler now. I and alot of other RPW users will testify that the quality and gains are a stp above other manufacturers.
    C.J. Cameron
    RETIRED TUNER!!!!

"Keeping it Simple"

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Lazarus)</div><div class='quotemain'>I Will take my RPWs to my Grave. I just got mine on and I got no SES light. Easy Install. So Much Torque the Chassis twisted coming off the line. Oh....wrong site. Anyway I am really impressed with these Headers for the I-4 My Muffler got it when we fired it up. I blew one of my baffles just starting up the Car so I have to get a new muffler now. I and alot of other RPW users will testify that the quality and gains are a stp above other manufacturers.</div>
    Woohoo CJ. Can't wait to see you on the dyno on the fourth. We can compare notes.

Chip
    Chip

2000 Basalt Black Metallic GTZ
    (Paint Code: Porsche LC9Z)

Genuine experience carries a lot more credibility than the ability to answer a question.