The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: my 5spd swap

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Showing results 21 to 32 of 32
    seriously

the stock shift plate bushgins are mush

you woudln't believe the difference. plus its like 12 bucks on ebay for a set.
    trust me they are worth it. you don't realize it but yoru whole shift plate tilts when you shift.

advice?
    push your pedal to the floor every time.
    all the way to the floor, don't try to just barely clear your synchros.
    push it all the way every time or they will prematurely wear.
    there is also the issue of overheating your flywheel (hotspots)and burning up your clutch when you don't completely dissengage.

get those motor mounts baby.

i swear i have to push mounts and bushings upgrades so hard.

people just don't get them.
    but the difference is night and day.

what say you matt?

would you agree

take your foot competly off the pedal between EVERY shift. i don't care if you are flooring it, your foot NEVER rides the pedal. ever.

Never leave your hand on the shifter EVER
    ever man. i'm serious.
    only touch the shifter when you are shifting.
    the rest of the time, keep your hands on the wheel, rest your arm on the armrest, play with yoru balls, whatever.
    just don't leave your hand on the shifter.
    even if you are in traffic, and especially if you are racing.
    never leave it on the shifter.

even at the dragstrip man.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

also,

as for getting it into reverse every time w/o a single grind ever,

just push in the clutch
    move the shifter into 2nd gear
    then go directly from 2nd back to reverse and release the clutch.
    it helps to line up the shift forks or whatever when you do this.

it also works for downshifting into first.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

djmtz263306
    DOHCstunr have you had any problems with the tranny so far and do you have a 6 bolt or 7 bolt

wow!!! that was alot of good info.....
    i'll keep on doing the whole 2nd gear to reverse everytime i have to back up/1st gear too....i dont really have any play on the assembly since i had to buy a longer bolt for the assembly......i took off the cylinder on every bushing and placed a big washer with the same diameter hole for the bolt.....the results are awsome.....i just made sure that the bolt is as tight as i can.....i might replace the mounts but im just considering of doing the whole window sealer way......im really short on finance so i might just reseal the mounts....

ok, im kinda confuse why i should leave my right hand on the shifter....also did anyone put washers on the tranny arm that has the pin(washer to eliminate the 3mm gap above and below the pin)....im talking about the arm that moves when the shifter moves left to right.....my tranny had this gap so i placed some small washers to fill the gap in....now i can feel the tranny really well from the shifter knob......
    1990 GSX(91 eprom ecu set-up)
    6-bolt jdm (GVR4)
    16G turbo
    3inch turbo back(flowmasters)
    510cc
    OSTRICH
    FMIC
    ___trying to learn the art of tuning___

shifting into 2nd before reverse helps because reverse doesn't have syncros, so by shifting into 2nd before, you are using it's syncros to slow down the input shaft.

You are here entirely tooo much!! peanotation's Avatar
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(sabzi5858)</div><div class='quotemain'>shifting into 2nd before reverse helps because reverse doesn't have syncros, so by shifting into 2nd before, you are using it's syncros to slow down the input shaft.</div>

hmmm, i havn't tried 2nd. i always shift into 1st before i go into R, but i'll try 2nd today
    http://socallifestyle.com/

1994 Galant GS 5spd

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(peanotation)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(sabzi5858)</div><div class='quotemain'>shifting into 2nd before reverse helps because reverse doesn't have syncros, so by shifting into 2nd before, you are using it's syncros to slow down the input shaft.</div>

hmmm, i havn't tried 2nd. i always shift into 1st before i go into R, but i'll try 2nd today</div>

do 3rd then 1st and it goes in every time no grinds(if you are moving third then a rev match and it downshifts like gravy into 1st).

2nd and then reverse. butter. every time

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    Your guys trannies are weak. Mine goes from N to R no problem
    7g for life!

You are here entirely tooo much!! peanotation's Avatar
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(seth98esT)</div><div class='quotemain'>Your guys trannies are weak. Â*Mine goes from N to R no problem </div>

just jinxed yourself FOOL
    http://socallifestyle.com/

1994 Galant GS 5spd

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(peanotation)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(seth98esT)</div><div class='quotemain'>Your guys trannies are weak. Â*Mine goes from N to R no problem </div>

just jinxed yourself FOOL</div>
    hehehe.....well today when i was driving the tranny felt great!!...im tryin to learn the "rev match" but im scared t mess up the tranny....any hints on how to perfect downshifting without the suden jerk forward....also without the long wait for the engine to connect.....i dont want to just drop and connect since it sounds really bad....

can you guys give me some tips on how to rev match?
    1990 GSX(91 eprom ecu set-up)
    6-bolt jdm (GVR4)
    16G turbo
    3inch turbo back(flowmasters)
    510cc
    OSTRICH
    FMIC
    ___trying to learn the art of tuning___

You are here entirely tooo much!!
    Go here and all read>>>>>www.standardshift.com

Congrats on the swap!!

Not how fast your car goes but how good u drive going fast.
    Drive It Like You Stole It!
    7G Erubini Body Kit for sale
    http://thegalantcenter.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=57678

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(peanotation)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(sabzi5858)</div><div class='quotemain'>shifting into 2nd before reverse helps because reverse doesn't have syncros, so by shifting into 2nd before, you are using it's syncros to slow down the input shaft.</div>

hmmm, i havn't tried 2nd. i always shift into 1st before i go into R, but i'll try 2nd today</div>

1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, doesn't matter, they are all syncroed except for reverse. ofcourse, if your 1st gear syncro is bad, then you can use 2nd. and realy, you don't have to use any of them if you are willing to wait a second for the shaft to slow down by itself while you hold down the clutch. the thing is just that when the clutch is engaged it will spin the input shaft, and when you hit the clutch, it takes a second for it to stop to match speeds so that it can shift smoothly (since it isn't syncroed). this is ofcourse assuming that your clutch disengages properly. try putting it in 1st gear, and while holding the clutch down (and on even ground) revving up to 5 grand or so, your car should not move, if it does, then you have clutch disengagement problems.

and rev-matching goes easier on your transmission for downshifts :thumbsup: i can't imagine being able to botch it up so bad as to cause worse wear other than if you release the clutch mid-shift, or don't push it in all the way.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12