The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: I need the guru's

Showing results 1 to 12 of 12
    confucius_101
    Ok so i just got this 95 s

the guy i got her from said that she was made up in canada
    if that matter any i don't know

whit all the weight in the front of this car (including my 200+ a#$)
    what if anything can i do to improve the handling of this car
    when ever i hit a bump it almost feels as if the car is being in two
    directions at once

the mechanic told me that it's wheel hop and maybe some fram flex and that it's normal for a car of that age

but i just don't feel safe in the car so what if anything should i or can i do

THANKS

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    -Upgrade the struts/springs: KYB AGX Struts with Eibach springs, or some Tein coilovers if you want to spend money
    -Prothane suspension bushings! Sounds like your bushings are very worn, would highly recoomend this
    -Upgrade front and install a rear sway bar. Very easy to do and will stiffen up the chassis a lot. Cheap mod too!
    7g for life!

i'd bet the bank that your struts and shocks are blown, typically they ahve a 50,000 mile lifespan, and they are only to pec for the first 15,000 or so then ride quality will decline.
    so its safe to say that if you ahve the stock struts yous are shot.

so replace them with performance, or even some sears monroe struts, it doesn't matter,
    its about more than control and handliong, its about safety. shock dampenign effects yoru braking response time.

easy cheap upgrades that make a difference,
    front swaybar bushings,
    install a factory rear sway bar with new bushings,
    tire wear, quality, and tire pressure play a critical role on all levels of handling.
    new springs will definatly enhance your handling.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

very good ideas john and seth i roll on kyb-gr2 and intrax lowering springs, to my surprise the car is very very stiff now, i love it, if i had more money i would definatly go with kyb agx, like seth said
    2009 Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart
    JDM 5 SPEED 4G64
    TO GET TO A MAN'S HEART....IS THROUGH 4G64 egh and may be through 4B11T

If this helps any, I put about 40 PSI into my front tires, left the rears alone and my understeer became less of a hassle when pushing the car in corners.

I don't think that will help you with bump steer, see above; they're smarter than I anyway!
    1996 Galant S

You are here entirely tooo much!! 4-G-rim's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Galant Kid
    If this helps any, I put about 40 PSI into my front tires, left the rears alone and my understeer became less of a hassle when pushing the car in corners.

I don't think that will help you with bump steer, see above; they're smarter than I anyway!
    Its usually recommened to run the tire pressure stated on the manufacturer spec sticker on the door or B pillar. 32 psi is the general recommended tire pressure. Over pressure on a tire will cause more of a rough ride quality and more likely cause the tire to make excessive road noise eventually.

Sounds like your shocks/struts are blown or about to give up. The shocks are are not dampening and the "2 way directional feel" is the cause or poor dampening. Like what DOHCtunr stated...it will decrease your brake response and distance. Also not to mention poor handling which jeporadizes your safety...especially if you were to try to suddenly avoid something on the road.

If you are going to replace your shocks and struts...I would might as well upgrade them to something "better" than OEM. KYB GR-2's is what I recommend or even maybe Tokico Blue's. If its in the budget...get some nice quality lowering springs. With a performance shock/struts mated with some good lowering springs, that right there is a combo that will already improve original OEM specs. I also recommend replacing your strut/shock mount bushings. Those are the 2 rubber like pieces on each strut/shock mount....KYB makes a replacement and they are about $10-$12 a pair, this will also improve your ride quality and handling too.

If you choose to dump more $$$ into the suspension, there are lots you can do. From upper strut bars to installing a rear sway bar and even replacing the joint bushings. Good Luck

1991 Galant VR4 1948/2000_________1996 Galant "S" 5 speed 2.4L turbo

You are here entirely tooo much!! peanotation's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Galant Kid

same here, anything under 38-40psi makes my front tires look like they're flat. i dont care that they're not within spec, something about the rim being only 0.5" from the ground seperated by a squishy, mushy section of rubber doesn't exactly spell precision handling. at 40psi the tires look normal and the car handles like a dream.

springs will run you $100-200, but without new shocks it will seem like it hurt your handling, your shocks are probably blown

struts/shocks are $250-400 depending if you go with the GR2s or AGXs from KYB.

i can gaurantee your bushings are shot to hell. a full prothane bushing replacement kill will make your car feel like its ready for autocrossing

and the rear sway bar.....by far the most crucial and dramatic mod i've ever done. still blows my mind how much of a difference it made...the car feels like an audi on the highway
    http://socallifestyle.com/

1994 Galant GS 5spd

Experienced TGC Member Blue Ice's Avatar
    Do everything above and an alignment. make sure that's done too. if you say your car feels like it's trying to go in two different directions, it's probably because it's pointed in two different directions.

yeah matt i keep my tires inflated on 40psi too, 38 in the rear, but i read somewhere here on may be on galantspeed that john keeps them inflated on specs, (john correct me if i am wrong) too improve tire patch and what not, i dont know really which way too go, but i dont like that flat tire look on my ride if they are 32psi
    2009 Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart
    JDM 5 SPEED 4G64
    TO GET TO A MAN'S HEART....IS THROUGH 4G64 egh and may be through 4B11T

confucius_101
    wow ok thats for all the reply's you guy's are great!
    where should i go for parts???? are there any spec. comp.
    thats you'd recommend or should i just go to summit or jegs???

thansk again

You are here entirely tooo much!! 4-G-rim's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by confucius
    wow ok thats for all the reply's you guy's are great!
    where should i go for parts???? are there any spec. comp.
    thats you'd recommend or should i just go to summit or jegs???

thansk again

Check the "Group Buy" thread on the boards here...there might be a group buy for some springs or shocks. Other than that...you just have to shop around. Probably your best bet is Ebay...but you'll just have to shop some tuner online stores. Sometimes they will have a special going on. I could see what I could do for you..since I work for my friends speed shop. Though we are switching suppliers because we had issues with our last one.

1991 Galant VR4 1948/2000_________1996 Galant "S" 5 speed 2.4L turbo

The best prices I could find on KYBs and Eibachs when I lowered my car were on www.ajusa.com.

4 GR-2s = $175.88
    or 4 AGXs = $391.88
    click here

Eibach Pro-kit (for 2g eclipse FWD) = $241.97
    Eibach alignment kits (front and rear) = $202.94
    click here

And all with free shipping. 8)

Good luck with your suspension!