The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: painting Calipers

Showing results 1 to 13 of 13
    wmaharrisjr

painting Calipers

Hi I just got my new rims installed and the rusted calipers look like shit behind them. How do I paint the calipers do I just spray away (of course remove the wheels) or it there some type of taping off or anything I need to do

mbssbm
    well if you leave your calipers on to paint be sure to cover everything in the wheel well besies the calipers. Even cover the inside of the fender, don't want overspray. I'd take them off if I were you. Be sure to get an engine enamel spray paint. You might want to lightly sand the rust off to provide a nice base for the paint.

first of all, i don't recommend srapying the paint. thats just a waste of time and money. spray the paint into a cup and brush it on. you get better covereage and less waste. i also recommend a decent set of jackstands. its quicker if you do more than one caliper at once.

keep the calipers on the car. just remove the wheel. take one of them arasive pads from the kitchen. u know them green pads u used for pots and pans. yea that. take some brake cleaner and wash teh calipers down. then clean the calipers with the spray and the abrasive pad. then wash it down one more time.

then its time to paint. when the brakes are dry, brush on a layer of paint. then go to the other calipers and brush on a layer and keep doing that til u got a nice finish to everything. put the wheel back on and its time for a spin. go out and drive the car agressively, using the brakes alot. this will bake the paint in. stop, retorque the lug nuts and wipe off any splatter from the wheels

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

wmaharrisjr
    ONCE AGAIN PINOY COMES THROUGH FOR ME AGAIN, THANKS BRO

I painted mine the same wat pinoy did...I did 5 coats of paint and 2 coats of clear coat...

click to see the before and after pics
    http://www.imagestation.com/album/pictures...1&id=4291335029
    Jason - - cofounder of TGCNY
    click banner to enter the NY Chapter

2001 Galant ES
    2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Special Edition

ucool80

what paint?

What kinda paint did you all get? What do i need to ask when i go to a local parts store?

[email protected]

wmaharrisjr
    I got plasti-kote hi temp paint from walmart

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(wmaharrisjr)</div><div class='quotemain'>I got plasti-kote hi temp paint from walmart</div>

i used duplicolor high temp paint. 1200 degrees i think. but if tehy auto parts store has it, brake caliper paint would work just as well

ucool80
    Would i be able to use that same paint on my header? to paint the letters on it?

I want to paint the calipers red and do the letters in red as well. do these paints come in a can or spray? If spray then how do i use a brush?

Umair

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ucool80)</div><div class='quotemain'>Would i be able to use that same paint on my header? to paint the letters on it? Â*
    </div>

im pretty sure u can

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ucool80)</div><div class='quotemain'>I want to paint the calipers red and do the letters in red as well. do these paints come in a can or spray? If spray then how do i use a brush?
    </div>

my paint came in a spray can. others come in a brush on can. but i just sprayed mine into a cup and then brushed it on for better coverage and less waste

Tiptronic
    hey wmaharrisjr where you been bro. you gotta put up some pics when you get the calipers done. then again, it has been snowing here lately. hope you were able to actually do it

nrgizeman
    is clear coat necessary after paint? i done it without clear coat and its fine.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(nrgizeman)</div><div class='quotemain'>is clear coat necessary after paint? i done it without clear coat and its fine.</div>'

no not really mine ended up fine for a few months. im just gonna redo mine when i get my car back from the shop cuz i didn't do a perfect job the first time