The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: clunking noise from front end

Showing results 1 to 19 of 19
    03GreyGalant

clunking noise from front end

it is a 03 galant 2.4 with 65000 miles on it.
    it only clunks ( sound more like something is binding/ popping)
    only happens driving around the parking lot under 20 mph.
    do not fell in the steering wheel
    also does when you turn the steering wheel

Experienced TGC Member glantv699's Avatar
    loose guard in the wheel well? I know I have one that likes to pop out of place at the moment....

that's all I can think of

> TGCPA - SOUTHEAST
    > 2010 Evolution X SE #183 of 340 (1 of 54 in Octane Blue)
    > 1999 ES V6 (Sold 2/2011)

If its only at the low speed it may be your front pads but if it happens when you turn then...

Could be a few things... maybe check the boots on the cv joints for tears and grease leaks, a joint could've gotten dirty and gone bad. If that's the case I recommend replacing the entire axle, rebuilt axles are pretty cheap and way easier to install than messing with the cv joint.

Experienced TGC Member Kalamidad's Avatar
    i would also look at your stabilizer links...
    -Pedro

Check your suspension.

Balljoints, tierods, sway links, etc etc..

03GreyGalant
    i have had it on a lift to check for anything loose, or anything rubbing. everything seems to to be ok. i looked for anything worn but turned up nothing. i have replaced the pads and rotors already. i had the noise before i changed them.

Does the steering wheel seem to "stick" when you turn?

If your suspension (i.e. balljoints, tierods, sway links, etc etc...) is in good shape, not loose or damaged.

Its going to be your strut mounts. Replace those, and the struts since they'll be out anyways.

Could possibly be a shot wheel bearing? but it would do it all the time...Did you hit a curb or big pothole? You could take it to an alignment shop and have em shake it down.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jaledi)</div><div class='quotemain'>Could possibly be a shot wheel bearing? but it would do it all the time...Did you hit a curb or big pothole? Â*You could take it to an alignment shop and have em shake it down.</div>

wheel bearings don't clunk or cause binding.

Its worn strut mounts for sure, as I said before replace those and replace the struts while you have them out.

Thats why I said it would do it constantly. I agree that it is prolly a strut or tie rod end. I had a ball joint going out in my integra once and it popped when I turned or hit a bump.

03GreyGalant
    i have had it on an alignment rack. it has all been checked out fine.
    i was thinking it was the strut mounts also but just wanted to be sure

thanks for all the help

03GreyGalant
    i have just gotten the strut mounts replaced with factory mounts and it is still makeing that clunking/ popping noise :x

i had something similar, i think, when my car got hit head on while parked, replaced both axels.
    Team TGCLV

Like some people said here before..maybe a CV joint..guessing..but..I have known some chryslers to do the same thing, so maybe stop by a local grease pit and have them look at it for ya

CT1881

Something Similar

I have a similar clunking sound (not sure if i would describe mine as popping) coming from the front left at low speeds when i go over small bumps but never when at speeds greater then 30 mph, was wondering if you found a solution yet? My car is a 2000 2.4 and has 67,000 miles on it.

You are here entirely tooo much!! 4-G-rim's Avatar
    WHen you got the alignment..did they check your CV axles? If they did...I would hope they would pointed out if they were in need of replacing. If not...I would check myself.

Does the noise happend during acceleration or deccleration? If either or both...it may be suspension related, possibly a worn bushing in a joint area. I would also check your outer tie rods..they are located at the end of the steering rod connected to the knuckle. A good way to see if your outer tie rods are bad is the lift the car so the wheel is in the air...and wiggle the wheel. If there is some play with a little bit of "clunking" you got bad out tie rods.

If not...I am just as puzzled as you,

1991 Galant VR4 1948/2000_________1996 Galant "S" 5 speed 2.4L turbo

CT1881
    hey guys, I got my struts replaced and my noise is now completly gone, just to follow up on my problem.

The last time I had in issue like that, I had to replace my rack but that was on an 86 BF 323