The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: locking ignition switch

Showing results 1 to 4 of 4
    erod587
    ok, im gonna try to sum this up, i bought a 96 galant off my cousin for 600 bucks, the car hasnt been insured for about 2 yrs, its just been sittin behind her dads house, last december we moved it, and that was the last time the engine actually ran, before she stopped using it it really didnt have ne problems mechanically, yesturday i tried 2 run the engine, now u know when the car is off and u move the steering wheel how it locks and locks the ignition switch and u kinda have to play with them both to get the key to turn, well thats wat its like, the steering wheel and ignition switch r locked up, and no amounts of moving them around solves anything, its an automatic transmission and its in park, but the shifter feels a little wierd also, like it moves a little too much, anyone have ne ideas???

Experienced TGC Member
    I dont know what could cause the problem. If you want a new ignition switch i have a used one. Ill sell it for cheap. You wont get the original key though. PM me if you are interested and ill take pics. Shoot me a price as well.

Experienced TGC Member Blue Ice's Avatar
    makew sure you push the shifter as far into park as it will go, maybe be even hold up on it at the same time. also you'll have to hold the steering wheel in the direction it's turned while trying to start the ignition. ie: if the wheels are turned to the right, pull the wheel to the right as you try to start the car.

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    You can bypass that. If you just want to see if it will start, remove the ignition switch from the column and just put a key in it and it will start. You wont be able to drive as the wheel will still be locked, but the car will start. Sounds like something isnt right with your park/neutral safety switch, which is a cable that runs from the shifter to the steering column letting it know that its in park or any other gear. Take the trim off the shifter, see if any cables are loose or not connected.
    7g for life!