The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: ENGINE START BUT HAS A STRANGE NOISE

Showing results 1 to 16 of 16
    Wel peeps,my car has started,but it does a strange noise,it sounds like my car has a diesel engine,the noice seems to come behind the head,between the head and the intake,very strange.
    Did some one experience that kind of noice after the head swap?

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    Are you leaking at all? Running on 3 cylinders maybe? Do a leak down test and see if any of the head gaskets are leaking.

Check the plug wires, make sure they are all firing. Check the plugs, make sure they are all burning fuel. Could you get a video up? Might help :P

I know you said you had an aftermarket coilpack setup, thats why it might be spark related.
    7g for life!

Quote Originally Posted by seth98esT
    Are you leaking at all? Running on 3 cylinders maybe? Do a leak down test and see if any of the head gaskets are leaking.

Check the plug wires, make sure they are all firing. Check the plugs, make sure they are all burning fuel. Could you get a video up? Might help :P

I know you said you had an aftermarket coilpack setup, thats why it might be spark related.
    I'll do my best to put a video on.
    Look Seth,when we started the car,we started it without the exhaust header putted on.
    It it idle,you can see light flames comming out the exhaust ports but from 2,3,4 cylinders,only when we give the engine more gas the port number 1 fire flames out.
    I've cometic headgasket on teh engine.

Sounds like Cyl 1 isnt getting spark, or only geting spark randomly. Recheck your wires. Put a dang header on at least!

Start the car, let it idle(or have somebody stable the RPM), remove the plug wires one at a time and see if the idle changes, then put them back. My guess is that if you remove the spark plug on Cyl 1, the idle will not change, remove any other wire and you will drop to 2 cylinders and the motor will probably just die.

Let me know what you find out!
    7g for life!

Sounds like Cyl 1 isnt getting spark, or only geting spark randomly. Recheck your wires. Put a dang header on at least!

Start the car, let it idle(or have somebody stable the RPM), remove the plug wires one at a time and see if the idle changes, then put them back. My guess is that if you remove the spark plug on Cyl 1, the idle will not change, remove any other wire and you will drop to 2 cylinders and the motor will probably just die.

Let me know what you find out!
    Yes I've put the header on,that's when I've heard the sound.
    do you know what's the color of the wire of the fuel gauge and the rmp gauge?
    where does those wire pluged in?(under the hood)

Which ecu did you use?
    what is yoru current firign order?

is your head getting oil?

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by DOHCstunr
    Which ecu did you use?
    what is yoru current firign order?

is your head getting oil?
    I'm using the microtech ecu.
    I've put the 4g63 cam and 4g63 timmingbelt for now ,we time and it was fine after 6 times,do you think that can be the problem of the noise?or do you think it can be a problem with the lifters or cams?
    The head is getting oil.

And do you know what is the color of the fuel and rpm guage?

No sure on the wire color.

But why on earth did you use a 4g63 timing belt? Theres a reason why the 4g63 and 4g64 DOHC have different part numbers for the timing belt! The deck height of the 4g64 is taller which requires a longer belt! That could be the problem right there, the belt is probably tensioned too tightly.

http://www.slowboyracing.com/more.php?id=3764&
    7g for life!

No sure on the wire color.

But why on earth did you use a 4g63 timing belt? Theres a reason why the 4g63 and 4g64 DOHC have different part numbers for the timing belt! The deck height of the 4g64 is taller which requires a longer belt! That could be the problem right there, the belt is probably tensioned too tightly.

http://www.slowboyracing.com/more.php?id=3764&
    belt for 4g64 is pain in the ass to get here in Aruba,i need to know how many teeth does a 4g64 head have

Ahh, Im not sure how many teeth it has, but maybe one of our members that has a GS can count for you.

Ill do some searching and see if I can find out.
    7g for life!

Ahh, Im not sure how many teeth it has, but maybe one of our members that has a GS can count for you.

Ill do some searching and see if I can find out.
    the one of the 4g63 has 153,butif you can get the number of teeth for me it will be awsome,cause i can check a timmingbelt here with the same amout of teeth

Quote Originally Posted by microgalant
    the one of the 4g63 has 153,butif you can get the number of teeth for me it will be awsome,cause i can check a timmingbelt here with the same amout of teeth
    i highly reccomend the oem belt.
    its made of kevlar.
    it will last a very very long time and won't give you any problems,
    aftermarket belts,
    well i can't say the same.

if you can't get one there one of us can order it for you here and ship it to you.

witht he shorter 4g63 belt, you end up compressing your auto tensioner too much, and as a result, it won't have the full range of adjustment, and won't last as long either.

also, if you used the 4g63 cam gears and you did not take into account that the timing marks on those gears are incorrect for the 4g64 block, then your valve timing is off.

the 4g64dohc cam gears are marked differently.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by DOHCstunr
    i highly reccomend the oem belt.
    its made of kevlar.
    it will last a very very long time and won't give you any problems,
    aftermarket belts,
    well i can't say the same.

if you can't get one there one of us can order it for you here and ship it to you.

witht he shorter 4g63 belt, you end up compressing your auto tensioner too much, and as a result, it won't have the full range of adjustment, and won't last as long either.
    also, if you used the 4g63 cam gears and you did not take into account that the timing marks on those gears are incorrect for the 4g64 block, then your valve timing is off.

the 4g64dohc cam gears are marked differently.
    Dohc stunr,do you a picture of the dohc camgears?can you sent me a pic of a 4g64 dohc camgears?so i canm see the marks?

I counted 48 from these pictures:

http://www.slowboyracing.com/more.php?id=3766&
    http://www.slowboyracing.com/more.php?id=3765&

Maybe SBR will ship to you? Worth a try, they are a great group of guys.
    7g for life!

I counted 48 from this pictures:
    yes Seth thats right 48 it's teh same amount of one of the 4g63,but i need a better pic
    to see the marks on the 4g64 dohc camgears

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=100677

this is a very very long thread full of all sorts of tidbits when it comes to the 2.4dohc.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo