The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: You guys just dont use catbacks?

Showing results 1 to 13 of 13
    Hovgaard
    Hi :)

This is my first topic here at TGC, so a little introduction: I'm from Denmark (thats in Europe :P), own a 1999 Mitsubishi Galant 2.0 (think you call em for I4's?), my english is very schoolish I think, I mean.. you need to do a little guess to get what I mean :D

My problem is, a few months ago I installed a Remus exhaust muffler (The ones that fits perfect on the orignal exhaust system). But it really didnt gave any sound...

A year ago I owned a Opel Vectra (Vauxhall Vectra) with the exact same problem.. No extra sound... So I installed a new center muffler atrap (The right word? A replacement muffler, but with nothing inside/no muffler) and it gave the new muffler the avaibility to make it's sound :)

But I can't even find a new center muffler at the US sites.. So my question is, how do you guys give your cars some sound?

/Jonas - DK...

Experienced TGC Member milo111000's Avatar
    take out ur resonators and you'll hear the difference..

You are here entirely tooo much!! fatal1's Avatar
    the sound generally comes from the "end" muffler itself (what you see from the rear of the car) the piping will help with the sound i think what you are referring to is a catalytic converter? i guess that would be the "center" muffler in the middle of all the piping under the car... i am guessing you had a gutted catalytic converter meaning the mesh inside was taken out defeating the purpoe of it, you can eliminate that if you wish but i am unsure if it will throw an ses code on your car as i am not familiar with the mechanics at all of the overseas cars.

in the us our engine is a 2.4 litre what i did personally was i bought the megan racing catback system, i comes with a muffler as well on it and is a direct bolt on for our cars, i then removed all the rest of the stock piping and upgraded it to 2.5 in i am not sure what that is in metric offhand and i installed a high flow catalytic converter and also installed new headers, but i also went for a bit more of performance in my goal

hoped that helped a bit there is also an overseas sub section maybee some of those members can help you more

Hovgaard
    Thanks for your answers :)

I know, but I dont mean the catalytic, but the pipe between the catalytic and the rearmuffler... Between these 2 there is a muffler (maybe 2, im not sure..) but 1 right after the catalytic.. Do you understand?

btw, I have seen the word "center muffler" at some ebays, and shops but its surely not the correct word..

We also got the 2.4 litre here in DK, I dont think the different is that big :)
    Quote Originally Posted by fatal1
    the sound generally comes from the "end" muffler itself (what you see from the rear of the car) the piping will help with the sound i think what you are referring to is a catalytic converter? i guess that would be the "center" muffler in the middle of all the piping under the car... i am guessing you had a gutted catalytic converter meaning the mesh inside was taken out defeating the purpoe of it, you can eliminate that if you wish but i am unsure if it will throw an ses code on your car as i am not familiar with the mechanics at all of the overseas cars.

in the us our engine is a 2.4 litre what i did personally was i bought the megan racing catback system, i comes with a muffler as well on it and is a direct bolt on for our cars, i then removed all the rest of the stock piping and upgraded it to 2.5 in i am not sure what that is in metric offhand and i installed a high flow catalytic converter and also installed new headers, but i also went for a bit more of performance in my goal

hoped that helped a bit there is also an overseas sub section maybee some of those members can help you more

Btw... Anyone got some links for some Cat-Back Systems for the 8G I4?

Quote Originally Posted by Hovgaard
    Thanks for your answers :)

I know, but I dont mean the catalytic, but the pipe between the catalytic and the rearmuffler... Between these 2 there is a muffler (maybe 2, im not sure..) but 1 right after the catalytic.. Do you understand?

btw, I have seen the word "center muffler" at some ebays, and shops but its surely not the correct word..

We also got the 2.4 litre here in DK, I dont think the different is that big :)
    Btw... Anyone got some links for some Cat-Back Systems for the 8G I4?
    ur talking about the resonator... MILO is right. remove the resonator(s) and the exhaust will be louder. if you really want to be loud, replace the OE downpipe with a downpipe that eliminates the catalytic converters... i had this done before and my car sounded like a speed boat.

Hovgaard
    Quote Originally Posted by Reelax
    ur talking about the resonator... MILO is right. remove the resonator(s) and the exhaust will be louder. if you really want to be loud, replace the OE downpipe with a downpipe that eliminates the catalytic converters... i had this done before and my car sounded like a speed boat.
    And this gives a little performance boost right?

But what do I replace with this resonator?

Thanks...

Quote Originally Posted by Hovgaard
    And this gives a little performance boost right?

But what do I replace with this resonator?

Thanks...
    the resonator is the "center muffler" you are talking about. you can remove that and replace it w/ straight pipe. now removing your catalytic converters gives larger gains than doing anything else on your exhaust but it is also removing the SMOG devices on your vehicle and may be illegal.

You are here entirely tooo much!! fatal1's Avatar
    www.meganracing.com or do a google search for galant catback megan racing etc, this is for the usdm 2.4 though i am not sure if it i a direct bolt on for your car but i guess it is worth a try you could also just go to a custom muffler shop and have it done, you can find them on ebay as well

Quote Originally Posted by fatal1
    www.meganracing.com or do a google search for galant catback megan racing etc, this is for the usdm 2.4 though i am not sure if it i a direct bolt on for your car but i guess it is worth a try you could also just go to a custom muffler shop and have it done, you can find them on ebay as well
    won't fit. almost nothing is compatible between the USDM 8g and the JDM / world spec 8G's.

removing the Cat from your exhast system is not a good idea
    unless you have something to make up the diffrence for the back pressure
    so aside from throwing codes and more noise there is no boost in performance
    yet rather a decline in the performance
    From the dance floor to the track
    bboy for life
    Mitsubishi for life

Quote Originally Posted by bboypowerhouse3k
    removing the Cat from your exhast system is not a good idea
    unless you have something to make up the diffrence for the back pressure
    so aside from throwing codes and more noise there is no boost in performance
    yet rather a decline in the performance
    wrong. theres still plenty of back pressure after removing the cats in our exhaust systems. removing the cats does however move the torque curve to higher rpms but it also allows the engine to breath easier at the top end. along w/ an intake capable of sucking air more easily into the engine, there are moderate gains. in fact, all headers for our cars remove at least the pre cat(s) since those are the most restrictive. and as far as throwing codes, there are simple fixes for that since the rear o2 that causes the codes does not affect timing or mixture (it's just there for smog reasons) so doesn't adversely affect performance.

Experienced TGC Member milo111000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Reelax
    wrong. theres still plenty of back pressure after removing the cats in our exhaust systems. removing the cats does however move the torque curve to higher rpms but it also allows the engine to breath easier at the top end. along w/ an intake capable of sucking air more easily into the engine, there are moderate gains. in fact, all headers for our cars remove at least the pre cat(s) since those are the most restrictive. and as far as throwing codes, there are simple fixes for that since the rear o2 that causes the codes does not affect timing or mixture (it's just there for smog reasons) so doesn't adversely affect performance.

well said.. How stuff works??

WTF are pre cats. Does this mean that if I get a header I won’t pass emissions?
    * KYB GR-2 shocks and struts $210
    * Progress Technology lowering springs $157
    * Lowering your own car for the first time, priceless.