The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Painting Fiberglass body kit

Showing results 1 to 11 of 11
    ok so i was wondering what is needed to paint a FG bodykit because i know if its not painted rite then the paint will just chip away, does anyone know exactly what is needed? thanks

TGC Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by alexvr
    ok so i was wondering what is needed to paint a FG bodykit because i know if its not painted rite then the paint will just chip away, does anyone know exactly what is needed? thanks

Most of the time it chips because people just simply paint over that coating that comes on your kit. In your case it looks green.

What you should do is:

1. scuff up the entire part really well with some 600 grit sandpaper, or a really course (red) scotch brite pad, until ALL the shine is off the part. then clean the part with some wax/grease remover.

2. If the kit has alot if pinholes or scratches in it spray on some 2K Urathane Filler primer. If the pinholes and scratches are REALLY bad, fill them with glazing putty or use a polyester primer.

- if there arent any imperfections move onto step 5.

3. wait for the primer to cure (next day probably). and spray a light "guide coat" of a contrasting color.

4. sand the part down with some 600 grit (wet or dry). When the guide coat is gone, you are done sanding, and free of pinholes and scratches.

5. clean off the part with degreaser and spray on some primer SEALER, or epoxy SEALER.

6. Spray on the color and clearcoat the same day you spray the sealer. If you wait longer than that the paint wont stick as well.

If i were you id do one of the sideskirts first, just to see how it comes out. And then do the rest of the parts if its all good.

GOOD LUCK 8-)

NOTE: The previous steps were written in the assumption that you will be spraying the parts with an HVLP spray gun, as opposed to a rattle can :-?

Also, you might want to check out www.autobody101.com before you dive in.

Need some paint or bodywork done in Chicagoland or NW Indiana???.. http://www.alsautobodyexperts.com/

You are here entirely tooo much!! SkylineG1's Avatar
    Excellent tip Eric.

thank u eric, yea i was planning on doing th skirt first to c howit comes out, is the epoxy toxic? i heard i need to wear a specific suit or somthing lik that....yea it does bring that shiney coating

TGC Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by alexvr
    thank u eric, yea i was planning on doing th skirt first to c howit comes out, is the epoxy toxic? i heard i need to wear a specific suit or somthing lik that....yea it does bring that shiney coating

That shiny coating on there is called "gel coat". they put it over the fiberglass to keep the moisture out.

I dont know what the quality of your kit is. But if it has a bunch of pinholes in it you should do the following.....

- After you have scuffed it up and got all the shine off. Spray on some 2K Urathane Filler primer. If the pin holes are REALLY bad, use a polyester filler primer.

- wait for that to cure (next day probably). and spray a light "guide coat" of a contrasting color.

- sand the primer down with some 600 grit (wet or dry). When the guide coat is gone, you are done sanding, and free of pinholes and scratches.

- move on to the sealer and paint.

To answer your question, i dont know if you can call it "toxic", but you should be wearing a respirator for ALL of the paint and sanding steps. The most harmful of all of them is the Urathane primer. If i were you i would just go with a primer sealer as opposed to an epoxy sealer for a body kit.

note: i added the filler primer steps to my first post.

Need some paint or bodywork done in Chicagoland or NW Indiana???.. http://www.alsautobodyexperts.com/

rule really is, when you are painting anything you should always wear at least a mask... if you are going to do this indoors, then yes, you should wear some type of mask/repirator if outside, then you really don't need to, but i would wear some safety goggles to keep the paint particles out of your eyes... and pretty much what eric said... all that advice is mint

TGC Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by thebirdman13
    rule really is, when you are painting anything you should always wear at least a mask... if you are going to do this indoors, then yes, you should wear some type of mask/repirator if outside, then you really don't need to, but i would wear some safety goggles to keep the paint particles out of your eyes... and pretty much what eric said... all that advice is mint

Whether you are spraying inside or outside..... urathane primer contains "isocyanates"........

notice the second part of that word is "cyanates".......... thats right, it contains a small amount of CYANIDE, WEAR YOUR RESPIRATOR.

i was talking about the actual painting... and i use a mask whether inside or outside no matter what anyway... but yeah, just talking about painting, cause i haven't dealt with the FG kit painting at all, all the FG i've done has been smooth off the bat...

ok great advise thanks i will let u guys know what happens

Experienced TGC Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SkylineG1
    Excellent tip Eric.
    yup

[notice the second part of that word is "cyanates".......... thats right, it contains a small amount of CYANIDE, WEAR YOUR RESPIRATOR.
    [/quote]

exactly!!! your safety is more important than you car. 8)
    http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...ideoid=2799274

A filipino's number one dream is to own a car before anything else. In the philippines, most private car owners consider their vehicles as an extension of their home but with one differrence: a home is where his wife cooks while a car is where his girlfriend builds a fire. Hmmm...