The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Alternator Replaced... Wierd Noise?

Showing results 1 to 17 of 17
    You are here entirely tooo much!! Jeffylou87's Avatar

Alternator Replaced... Wierd Noise?

Just recently my alternator crapped out... It jammed and I had to cut the AC/Alt. belt in order to get it back to my job... It was about two miles away.. So I was running on the battery. I just got it replaced along with a new belt... Now when I'm idling the battery light and the brake light comes on... When I start driving it goes away... When I cruise it comes back... The mechanic at my job told me that the light would go away.. That the battery was low... That's why the light was going on.. I really need your help... If anyone has had this problem before? How did you deal with it? There is also a sort of whining noise when i'm stopped at a light... Any help would be greatly appreciated...

Sounds like you got a junk alternator. Get the charging system including the battery (and alternator) tested.

Re: Alternator Replaced... Wierd Noise?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffylou87
    ... Now when I'm idling the battery light and the brake light comes on... When I start driving it goes away... When I cruise it comes back...
    That happened to me a while back. The problem was that one of the main wires got "too hot" and melted the solder :shock: . Get the affected wired soldered back on and it's a go. Don't know which is affect you have to search it yourself.

ehh

I checked the system already... It says it's charging fine... I took a closer look today and all the connections are fine... All the fuses are fine... But I noticed that when the belt makes noise it moves a few cm's to the right to be able to touch the sidewall of the first tensioner... does that mean it's not tight enough??? or is it too tight??? or is something else wong???

which pulley is it the alt pulley?
    99 BLACK GTZ
    5 SPD 10-12-08
    TEIN SPRINGS AND KYB SHOCKS
    WTB FRONT BUMPER
    WTB CF HOOD
    WTB GRILL
    WTB CF TRUNK

You are here entirely tooo much!! Stewi's Avatar
    maybe one of the pulleys is bent or chipped?
    Quote Originally Posted by qnz
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

The alt pulley is the pulley connected to the alt...

Experienced TGC Member milo111000's Avatar
    prolly not quite tight enough.. or screw forced in incorrectly..

alright thanks guys... I'll check it out tomorrow... Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated...

PLEASE LEt ME KNOW WHEN U FIND OUT lol i have had the SAME exaact problem for months now and i got a new batt and alternator n nothing, did u get the atlernator checked again to see if it was fine? also have u checked the voltage? mine goes from 13 to lik 11 when im driving its crzy....let me know man

One of the problems could have been that the alt that I got was aftermarket.. aftermarket diodes don't match sometimes with mitsubishi cars... so i'm returning the aftermarket one and getting the oem one tomorrow so hopefully the lights will turn off tomorrow... wish me luck!

OMG YES!!!! Noise is GONE!!! So happy now.. :D The problem was that I had an extra tensioner... The guy who had the car before me had the RIPP supercharger on my G... I think he left something in there that wasn't supposed to be there... Plus, like I said my computer rejected the diode that the alternator ran... Problem Fixed!!!

so u changed the alternator out and the lights are off???

I switched the alt out and I took out one of the tensioners that shouldn't have been there.. like I said back in the day there was a RIPP Supercharger on the car... When the guy took it off he left another tensioner and a different sized belt than the oem one... So when I got the new alt I got the new belt... Wasn't the right size belt for the amount of tensioners... So, what I'm trying to say is that it's not the alt's fault... Even though I do feel better with a mitsu alt than an aftermarket one...

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffylou87
    I switched the alt out and I took out one of the tensioners that shouldn't have been there.. like I said back in the day there was a RIPP Supercharger on the car... When the guy took it off he left another tensioner and a different sized belt than the oem one... So when I got the new alt I got the new belt... Wasn't the right size belt for the amount of tensioners... So, what I'm trying to say is that it's not the alt's fault... Even though I do feel better with a mitsu alt than an aftermarket one...
    i'm just curious here but who manufactured the alt you have now? denso, mitsu, etc?
    2003 ES 2.4L - 150k - Stock
    tranny flush, timing belt, tensioner replacement at 80k

The new one that i have in there is mitsu... the one that i had in there was like american something idk... the original one was mitsu as well...