The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Port and polish

Showing results 1 to 7 of 7
    Experienced TGC Member milo111000's Avatar

Port and polish

any inputs on significant difference?? was just pondering about port and polish and i do know that it decreases friction and creating better compressions.. but how about increasing bore size.. i know it's profitable but does anyone know the exact figures of how much we can increase?? just been wondering cause i think my engine's falling apart and i'm planning on taking it apart and bringing it to a manila or okayama for cheap port polishing... thanks in advanced/.

port and polish what specifically?? If your engine is falling apart then you might want to focus on a rebuild.

You are here entirely tooo much!! Stewi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by neepar
    port and polish what specifically?? If your engine is falling apart then you might want to focus on a rebuild.
    Exactly

Also, a port and polish isnt going to help you without supporting mods, like a turbo, supercharger or (if your n/a)high compression pistons. The idea of porting the intake side of the head is for increased airflow, you dont really want to polish the intake side alot, because if its too smooth it will hurt the ability for the fuel to atomize with the intake air. Smooth exhaust ports assist with the flow and speed of the exiting exhaust gas. The less turbulent the path for the exhaust the more energy it will have when it gets to your turbo, giving it a more consistant and sometimes faster spool up. Each thing relates to the next. If you buid a head with big valves and no porting and a stock intake manifold, you may do more harm than good, because the valves can flow more air than the parts that supply the air.
    Quote Originally Posted by qnz
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

Experienced TGC Member milo111000's Avatar
    thanks stew... cause i feel the G has been pretty slugish and might need an overhaul.. i know with the cash i will spend on labor and stuff might be enough for an engine swap or even head or tranny swap.. ya know what i mean.. trying to make my monies worth..

You also have to do it JUST right to really see any difference. Previous owner did it to mine and there really isn't too much of a performance gain over a stock 6G72, unless as Stewi said, you add forced injection or go ape on N/A.

Extrude-honing might be something you'd be interested in though. you basically have someone run high-grit silly putty through your parts to get out all the tool marks and burs and such that add drag on the engine's flow of gases and liquids. Wouldn't need to do as much to the engine overall to see a noticeable result as I understand it.

You are here entirely tooo much!! Stewi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by milo111000
    thanks stew... cause i feel the G has been pretty slugish and might need an overhaul.. i know with the cash i will spend on labor and stuff might be enough for an engine swap or even head or tranny swap.. ya know what i mean.. trying to make my monies worth..
    Everything you do to your car should be done in effort to achieve a goal. If your goal is be running 11's in the 1/4, then go rob a bank and use the $20,000 you stole to build a bad ass motor, turbo setup and 5 speed trans. If your goal is to road race, get a mild turbo setup, some sort of engine management, good brakes and suspension. If your just looking for a fun car to drive, you can either do a mild turbo kit, supercharger kit or nitrous.

Before anyone starts hating on supercharger kit, I hated on them for a while too, and then I did some research and really learned how it all worked. The only true problem I see with the RIPP kit is the engine management, I would recommend a standalone and a good tuner to set it up CORRECTLY.
    Quote Originally Posted by qnz
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

Yes I hear the RIPP Black Box is a POS and one should replace it with the GReddy eManage Blue or Ultimate.

However I have heard nothing but bad things about the SDS drive shaft that links the belts to the Vortech snail. I'm just not sure about it. Still researching. At this point I would say don't get it unless RIPP themselves install it. People I talk to who had RIPP do the install don't seem to have ANY issues.