The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: is this normal?

Showing results 1 to 7 of 7

is this normal?

Ok guys, i just got my car back. I had my water pump changed yesterday. Now, it seems that my radiator fan goes on more often and it stays on longer. My temperature gauge stays just below the half mark....it doesn't go up at all. Is this something i should worry about? Is it possible that because my water pump is new, my cooling system is more sensitive to heat now? The main thing my temp gauge doesn't go up right?

i guess check the coolant level?

mine was just changed the other day but i dont notice the fan coming on any more/less than previous... as long as the temp gauge is good then i dont really worry about that.

Yes check your coolant level. Changing your water pump will not effect your cooling system. However, if your thermostat has been changed, then you may notice a difference. you may notice a difference based on a change in the weather also. If you have not had your thermostat changed, then you should probably do that. It's a cheap part. Also....DO NOT BUY IMPORTANT PARTS FROM AUTOZONE. ie... starters, alternators, water pumps, thermostats, anything electrical, axles, hubs---> unless you like replacing parts. If you do, sometime in the near future you will change the same part again. Hopefully you aren't with a hot date when it happens. Nothing else says broke ass loser other than a guy with a car that he worked on and still won't work. What made you decide to change your water pump at first?

an afterthought: also check your temp sensors. You probably have one for the fan and one for the guage. a bad sensor could read abnormally hot or cold. your fan may be coming on too much or your guage may be reading too cold.

and I have seen brand new thermostats from autozone not work.

and one more thing...If you live in a cold area...make sure you have 50/50 antifreeze/water and not just water. otherwise IT WILL FREEZE and destroy things inside your motor. It should be either yummy green - or off red. never clear. have fun

i had my timing belt changed maybe like a year ago. At the time, they were going to do my water pump at the same time. But it turned out that they could not find the part....dont know why! so yeah, i had to go back a second time. actually, only after i drive for a while and when i am parked at idle does my fan go on. i changed my thermostat like a few months ago...so thats not it. maybe im just being paranoid...well, ill see how things go for the next couple of days. Oh, i know my temp sensors are working...a few months ago, my car was over heating one day, that needle sky rockected toward the red :shock:

its normal for the fan to come on when you are idling... it comes on for a minute then turns off for a minute and back on..... but yeah i would check those sensors for good measure

as long as your car is really not overheating, There is no problem with letting your fan run constantly. There is only a problem if you stop driving, turn the car off, and the fan runs to the point that it drains your battery.