The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: valve cover tutorial / question

Showing results 1 to 9 of 9

valve cover tutorial / question

I got a question. I have a miss fire in the #4 cyclinder. I pulled the s/p wire and oil is on the top of it not the bottom of it. the spark plug has very little oil around it, and the area is dry. This would be from the valve cover gasket leaking not the head gasket correct? if it is only the valve cover do i have to remove the timing belt cover? or can i work around it?

WTF does a tutorial have to do with anything?? You do not need to remove the timing belt cover. Just take of the valce cover, change the o-rings, change the valve cover gasket
    2.4L - AWD - 5SPEED - PTE 6057 at __PSI w/Wavetrac LSD

Experienced TGC Member milo111000's Avatar
    this might help out a bit... you don't really need to take out the belts and stuff.. just the valve cover alone..
    https://www.thegalantcenter.org/view...hlight=#577622

milo111000,

i know i didnt need the belts to be removed i was just wondering about the timeing belt cover only......thanks for the help

Experienced TGC Member milo111000's Avatar
    no that can stay on too.. but if you're oc or need more space, then you can remove it too.. but it can be done without taking it off..

Quote Originally Posted by mikedela
    milo111000,

i know i didnt need the belts to be removed i was just wondering about the timeing belt cover only......thanks for the help
    on my 7g i had to loosen not remove the timing belt cover. so i can get the valve cover off. If you notice it does goes a little under of the timing belt cover. some ppl may need to do that step some may not, i did, and it was way easy. do me a favor run you car for about 5 min let it warm up a little so when you go ahead and replace the valve cover gasket it will be soft and easy to get out of.
    2009 Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart
    JDM 5 SPEED 4G64
    TO GET TO A MAN'S HEART....IS THROUGH 4G64 egh and may be through 4B11T

well i changed the valve cover gasket and s/p seals this morning ..........everything went well done in about 45 minutes....no miss firing any more.......thanks everyone

Quote Originally Posted by mikedela
    i was just making sure damn
    don't take it personal, he is from new york.
    2003 ES 2.4L - 150k - Stock
    tranny flush, timing belt, tensioner replacement at 80k