The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Supension newbie with money to burn!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Showing results 21 to 35 of 35
    dude..... shocks and struts are the same thing just one is front and one is back.

Quote Originally Posted by dknight3
    dude..... shocks and struts are the same thing just one is front and one is back.
    lol. +1

maybe you should learn a thing or 2 on how a car works before you go changing anything

Quote Originally Posted by 6G72Galant
    Sounds nice. Can you tell me more?

Ight heres what im going to do...I want to lower my ride by about 1-1.5 inches. What should i buy for Front and Rear?
    Just get a set of Eibach Pro-kit springs, and upgrade your strut/shock combo. My .02

Quote Originally Posted by qnz
    lol. +1

maybe you should learn a thing or 2 on how a car works before you go changing anything

shocks and struts are
    NOT the same... there are multiple threads about this along with proper definitions... maybe you sir, should learn a thing or two... anyway, lets make it more confusing... if money isn't an issue and you want the best ride, then get a full coilover suspension... tein ss-p are proven performers... but if i was to go all out, then i would go for the JICs... or you could spend alot less and get the same as the tein basic and get the megan coilover system, but i believe they have something out that is the same as the ss-p...

Xska55
    It seems like you dont know anything about suspension so maybe you should just get a simple setup for now like lowering springs and replace the stock struts/shocks with KYB's. Parts might cost you around $400 and a fair install price is around $200, and save the rest of your money for a set of 18's

Experienced TGC Member
    It seems like you dont know anything about suspension so maybe you should just get a simple setup for now like lowering springs and replace the stock struts/shocks with KYB's. Parts might cost you around $400 and a fair install price is around $200, and save the rest of your money for a set of 18's
    Ive been thinking about going that route because i know suspension components do need to be replaced around every 60K. I dont know what the lifespan of coilovers is, but these Megan Racing coils cost $1050. So i prolly could go the less expensive route and invest money elsewhere. However, i need to buy something adjustable becasue hte weather up here can be quite unpredictable at times. But ive pretty much narrowed down my choices. Again, thanks to all of you who provided useful advice and suggestions.

http://www.meganracing.com/products/...d=622&catid=93

Xska55
    Most of these cars could probaly make it to 200k without changing the major pieces of the suspension with the exception of endlinks and maybe swaybar bushings so i wouldnt worry about that.
    Adjustment is always nice to have but the coilover setups mentioned earlier (Tein, Megan, JIC, D2) arent meant to raise and lower a car depending on the weather, there "sole" purpose is for racing. Besides if you run them for an entire winter they will take a beating from all the road salt and will be real tough to adjust after. It would be a shame to do that to $1000-1700 investment.
    If your really stuck on getting coilovers then look into the sleeve type coilovers from Skunk2 or Ground Control there about $300, my opinion is they ride to bouncy and the front struts always bottom out but some people here seem to like them. I prefer springs over the sleeve type coilovers because the ride is more comfortable.
    Oh I almost forgot Tein also makes a basic kit that sells for around $700-800, I know it will dump your car but I have no idea how high they will raise it. You might want to find that out if you decide to get them.

Quote Originally Posted by 6G72Galant
    Tein Super Street coil over dampers with pillowball mounts (Eclipse application) and EDFC if you want to adjust ride hight from the cockpit, Carbing (Tein) Eclipse Spyder application strutbar and D3 Eclipse application chassis kit minus rear upper bar. Oh and a rear anti-sway bar too.
    Sounds nice. Can you tell me more?

Ight heres what im going to do...I want to lower my ride by about 1-1.5 inches. What should i buy for Front and Rear?
    The Tein Super Street Coil Over Dampers should lower you up to 2" I believe. Adjustable (from the cockpit with EDFC). These would be spring and dampers in one package. Carbing is a company that Tein distributes for. The strutbar they make seems to be premium quality. The D3 brand chassis kit will stiffen up the whole car so there's very little flex and it'll make things handle MUCH better. The rear ant-sway/roll bar will improve cornering.

Do some searches on here and on Google and you should be able to find all the info you could want on the subjects.

Good luck and feel free to buy my some of the above mentioned parts so long as you have money to burn! 8)

^^^ EDFC again does not adjust ride height but damper ONLY!

EDFC (Electronic Damping Force Controller)

6G72, like other have said, just get a spring/strut combo like teins/kyb agx or gr2s and a addco RSB. That combination or any spring/strut combo w/ the addco will make a hell of a difference in handling

Maybe down the line if you feel you need more control over your suspension then you can upgrade to coilovers.

Quote Originally Posted by thebirdman13
    Quote Originally Posted by qnz
    lol. +1

shocks and struts are
    NOT the same... there are multiple threads about this along with proper definitions... maybe you sir, should learn a thing or two... anyway, lets make it more confusing... if money isn't an issue and you want the best ride, then get a full coilover suspension... tein ss-p are proven performers... but if i was to go all out, then i would go for the JICs... or you could spend alot less and get the same as the tein basic and get the megan coilover system, but i believe they have something out that is the same as the ss-p...
    As far as he is concerned shocks and struts are the same, since most people do the same thing with front and back. i just wanted to clarify that he should probably do the same thing to the front and back, okay?

Quote Originally Posted by S-Line

6G72, like other have said, just get a spring/strut combo like teins/kyb agx or gr2s and a addco RSB. That combination or any spring/strut combo w/ the addco will make a hell of a difference in handling

Maybe down the line if you feel you need more control over your suspension then you can upgrade to coilovers.
    I contacted Tein on the subject awhile ago, asking why their Scion is listed as having EDFC x2. They said that EDFC can be used to adjust more than one thing if the product is setup for it. In the Scion's case they are controlling ride height and dampening (a different EDFC wrench for each). The SS+Ps are only capable of having ride height adjusted with EDFC.

Quote Originally Posted by mindwerkz
    Quote Originally Posted by S-Line

I contacted Tein on the subject awhile ago, asking why their Scion is listed as having EDFC x2. They said that EDFC can be used to adjust more than one thing if the product is setup for it. In the Scion's case they are controlling ride height and dampening (a different EDFC wrench for each). The SS+Ps are only capable of having ride height adjusted with EDFC.
    I dunt know about the Scion but there is no way you can hook up the perches electronically to go up and down by themselves...

this is how they look..

explain to me how you could possibly hook those up electronically to go up and down by themselves, while the wheel is on and the car on the ground?

Quote Originally Posted by Xska55
    Besides if you run them for an entire winter they will take a beating from all the road salt and will be real tough to adjust after. It would be a shame to do that to $1000-1700 investment.
    Actually Teins have a coating of anti-rust on the perch threads... I use the car all winter long and t does take a beating from salt... and I just lowered it back down this weekend and it was nothin a little liquid wrench couldn't handle.

If you're paranoid like me, I would try to spray them with high pressure water As much as possible during the winter.
    Jigz-TGCIL Sosick Motorsports

R.I.P. Christopher "CRAZY CHRIS" Beckmann
    "you dont appreciate friendship until you lose your bestfriend...."
    I'd rather have the knowledge and ability to do it than the money to buy it already done.

Experienced TGC Member

Beautiful

Xska55 Posted: 25 Mar 2007 09:53 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Most of these cars could probaly make it to 200k without changing the major pieces of the suspension with the exception of endlinks and maybe swaybar bushings so i wouldnt worry about that.
    Adjustment is always nice to have but the coilover setups mentioned earlier (Tein, Megan, JIC, D2) arent meant to raise and lower a car depending on the weather, there "sole" purpose is for racing. Besides if you run them for an entire winter they will take a beating from all the road salt and will be real tough to adjust after. It would be a shame to do that to $1000-1700 investment.
    If your really stuck on getting coilovers then look into the sleeve type coilovers from Skunk2 or Ground Control there about $300, my opinion is they ride to bouncy and the front struts always bottom out but some people here seem to like them. I prefer springs over the sleeve type coilovers because the ride is more comfortable.
    Oh I almost forgot Tein also makes a basic kit that sells for around $700-800, I know it will dump your car but I have no idea how high they will raise it. You might want to find that out if you decide to get them
    Im going to check around at a couple of local shops today, and see how much installation is going to cost, and then ill make my decision from there. Ive got wheels coming, and ima need a decent set of brakes, so i prolly shouldnt spend too much money on suspension. Again thanks for the advice everyone. Ill let you guys know what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by 4g63lover
    I dunt know about the Scion but there is no way you can hook up the perches electronically to go up and down by themselves...
    I'm just passing along what the Tein staff has told me. *shrugs*..... I'm starting to think I might be transposing in my mind another email conversation I had with them actually. Now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure you're right.

Oh and I found the email about the EDFC x2. It was on a 99 Silvia with Super Racing Coilovers and it was one system for compression and another adjusting rebound.

Quote Originally Posted by mindwerkz
    stop giving people wrong information when you dont know how suspension works yourself. theyre coilovers. not airbags. edfc x2 controls rebound

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12