The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: VOLTS DROP WHILE DRIVING

Showing results 1 to 11 of 11

VOLTS DROP WHILE DRIVING

this has been going on for a while now, it started with the car not starting so i changed the battery n it was fine for 2 weeks then it gave me problems again so i got the alternator changed. it was also making a whining noise. once i got the new alternator the noise stoped but started again a weeek later and i notice my volts droping from 13 to 11.8 while driving...what can it be bad alternator? i got another batt only this time a yellow top...anyone know?

TGC Regular
    alternator belt maybe??

Need some paint or bodywork done in Chicagoland or NW Indiana???.. http://www.alsautobodyexperts.com/

Do you have a system in your car? if you do, and you play your music loud, then, thats probably the issue. my system used to drop my voltage down to the 11's until i put a capacitor. If thats not the case, then its probably what ericbla03 said, belt slippage or bad ground wire.

no i disconnected it and it was only a 300 jbl with a t1 10" and it still did it, i havent gotten the chnce to take it but its either the belt or alternator...how do i find a bad ground wire?

battery ground wire. mine went bad...thought it was my alternator, i replaced it and i was back to normal

You are here entirely tooo much!! Jeffylou87's Avatar
    You could tell if your alty is bad... It should scream at you... Mine went through a whole lot of noise before it pooped...

Make sure the belt is tight but not to tight. Either loose or to tight can cause the alt. to do goofy things and not work right. I highly dought its a nother bad alt. but to make sure just take it up to the parts store and have them test it.

i did that the first time n they said it was good when it was really bad, ill take it to another one tho thanks ill keep updated

Quote Originally Posted by dronesurfboards
    battery ground wire. mine went bad...thought it was my alternator, i replaced it and i was back to normal
    x2 with the addition of an Optima Bluetop.

Quote Originally Posted by mindwerkz
    Blue top? Marine battery?
    That happened to me a month ago the solder connecting to the battery ground melted and I just replaced my alternator a month before that.

Quote Originally Posted by G-spot
    Quote Originally Posted by mindwerkz
    Blue top? Marine battery?
    That happened to me a month ago the solder connecting to the battery ground melted and I just replaced my alternator a month before that.
    Oh I just meant that I too thought I had a bad alternator but I replaced the ground wires and upgraded to the blue top and my problem was solved.

EDIT - wait, are you saying the marine battery is going to start melting my connections? did you have an OEM alternator or something heartier?