The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Aftermarket air intake vs MPG.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Showing results 21 to 27 of 27
    i hear ya. my point is, with all the thought into doing that, you couldve done something else, like drop in a more agressive cam or whatnot and seen a difference.

every bit helps in the tuning world but if you got only got bolt ons...then you really dont have a chance in a tuning world that has gone overboard with fully built engines, engine transplants etc.

Ive been racing in san diego since back in 93 and that was when we were the capital of racing. My truck was fast back then when it was doing 13's, but now its not even worth it anymore, with what people are doing now. just like Cali's transplant. If i saw him on the street in my truck, i wouldnt even bother racing him, that car probably does solid 12's and maybe low 12's with slicks. and who knows what that car will do if he decided to boost more. And thats is where my point is...if i saw a car with just bolt ons...it wouldnt even be worth wasting gas racing that person...cuz everyone in this world knows what an I4 galant with boltons can do and its not much. so modding an intake so it doesnt take in higher temp air and gaining you maybe 2hp at the crank will not, make you any faster than someone who did the mod. its a placebo affect. you might think it is...but its not and ive lost a few races that way.

BTW I miss those days....short track, firehouse, kearny, morena, general dynamics, L st, 905, convoy, id even go as far as san marcos and ontario to race...if you raced back then...you know the places im talking about. i miss rolling on full slicks and hearing all those pebbles hit your fender wells. now that was some intimidation when people saw you roll up and call fools out to race. too bad the cops destroyed all the fun. okay now im reminiscing...lol!

Ok I'm not really trying to make my engine purr with this stuff guys. I'm just bored, have an extra roll of reflecto-tape and a desire to make things better than I found it.

You guys keep saying I should have invested this energy into something more productive under the hood. You guys are forgetting that I lack two important things for that at the moment. Money and knowledge. lol

Oh and MOST items that provide less than 15 hp are likely not effecting track time noticeably. It's all about perceived gain.

It's like with gun recoil. Two identical twins with equal experience can fire the same gun and perceive the recoil as being completely different. Someone can fire a gun and go "ow" then relax and pull the trigger so slowly that it's a surprise when it goes off and be like "wow that was nothin". If you expect something to have a certain result, you are predisposed to perceiving that result with a bias toward your expectation.

jeez just let him wrap his shit in reflective tape if it makes him feel better. thats all im going to say cause i dont wanna get banned. lol.

Update on ghettotastic wonder scoop/ cold air box...

Haven't had a chance to work on this cause I've been curing misfire and a messed up CV joint. HOWEVER, just the ghetto-scoop alone (as seen above) is lowering intake temps by 3-7 degrees when over 30mph. That obviously goes to hell when I slow down and the engine heat is able to warm that corner of the bay. As a happy by-product my coolant temp has gone down a couple degrees as well. I'm guessing this is because the wrapped scoop is deflecting some engine heat from reaching the radiator.

Experienced TGC Member 6G72gearhead's Avatar
    Getting an excessive acceleration ticket.

You may be intaking colder air at the box, but since coolent is run through your throttle body it makes no difference until those lines are bypassed as even with colder air its just being heated back up with the TB and the intake manifold. If you want real gains look into bypassing those lines, after 4 autocross runs and not shutting it down between I can still lay my hand on the intake manifold, which I previously could not do.
    RIP: Colin McRae, you will be missed.
    "I shall go before thee and make the crooked places straight."

2001 ES V6 M/T under construction
    1991 Volvo 244ti 300 whp daily driver
    www.gooichimotorsports.com

Quote Originally Posted by manybrews
    bypassing the throttle body is a stupid idea.
    the coolant does NOT run through it to keep the throttle warm, but rather to control the manual wax idle element that sits alongside the electronic idle valve.

do NOT bypass the coolant throttle plates, period.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishboy55
    That's right. We had that process here someplace at one time. I track tested it with no noticeable result. Also, I experienced trouble and rough idling in cold weather, so I put it back on. I actually think the car performs better across the climate band without bypassing the hoses.

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

Experienced TGC Member 6G72gearhead's Avatar
    Getting an excessive acceleration ticket.

Here in Kansas it seems to have woken it up a little, I havent had cold start or idle problems even on single diget days. The way its set up I can go back really easy. But as for now it keeps the upper manifold temp down by close to 30* when autocrossing the car.
    RIP: Colin McRae, you will be missed.
    "I shall go before thee and make the crooked places straight."

2001 ES V6 M/T under construction
    1991 Volvo 244ti 300 whp daily driver
    www.gooichimotorsports.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12