The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: WTF is going on with my speakers?

Showing results 1 to 11 of 11

WTF is going on with my speakers?

Alright, to start off I have a '99 gtz in case that makes any difference. When I bought my car about 6 months ago the center console and front passenger side speakers didn't work. About 2 weeks ago my front driver side speaker stopped working, then a few days later the back right speaker stopped. Now the only speaker that is working is the rear right speaker above the trunk. I'm 100% sure the driver side speaker was working when I had turned my car off, so I don't think it's blown out. I haven't really been blasting the music. Is there any wiring that could be loose or am I going to have to replace the speakers? I really appreciate any help.

You are here entirely tooo much!! Jeffylou87's Avatar
    Well the harness is almost impossible to just come loose... did you take the raido out recently.. maybe the harness is not secure... I think you should take out the speakers and test them individually... if they work then you know that you have a wiring problem...

Experienced TGC Member 02redgalant's Avatar
    if its stock speakers check the wiring on the speaker itself after usage the wiring looses its contact on the speaker so it may seem like its blown and not work or crackle

Sounds like you have a couple blown channels. Either the amp's channels are no good or the output from the headunit is no good.

You can test the speakers rather easily. Take out the radio (which is really easy) put the positive and negative speaker wires on the positive and negative of a 9-volt battery. Doing it this way doesn a couple things 1) You don't have to remove any speakers saving time and effort and 2) It will tell you if the speakers work.

Once you verify that they work you can see if the headunit or amp are faulty.

get new speakers and a new HU :P

something could be wrong with your factory harness. My front passenger side speaker went out on me about 2 months ago. I just by passed the factory wiring and went straight from the speaker to the amp.

Back from the dead!!!

Okay, I did the thing with the 9-volt and the front right speaker didn't respond at all. Then I decided to check the left front speaker (which hasn't worked since buying the car) and I found out that there isn't even a speaker in the driver side door. Anyway, I was wondering if the small black speakers on the doors of the GTZ are supposed to be functional. I took the casings off when I removed the door only to find out that there aren't any speakers inside.
    Now I'm planning on getting new speakers and I was thinking I might as well stick with Infinity. What do you guys think about these?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...4116&rd=1&rd=1

I know that the front speakers are 6.75', but these come with a bracket so they should fit.

You are here entirely tooo much!! Jeffylou87's Avatar
    I'd have to say that Infinity Refrence speakers are the best for highs... You should also get the tweeters..

Experienced TGC Member
    DONT REPLACE YOUR STOCK 6x9's SPEAKERS! THEY KICK ASS!!!!

Yeh, the stock 6x9's in the Galant are fuckin sweet. Ive listened to alot of aftermarket speakers, and they put out nowhere near the bass the stock speaker does with no amp. I plan on buying some 6.75's for the front, and a 10inch subwoofer, and an amplifier and thats it.

*From what ive heard before, aftermarket speakers usually focus on mids and highs.

Now that I'm in the spending mood, I'm probably going to get some tweeters too. I know this is a really nooB question, but what does it mean when they say 2way, 3 way. 5 way speakers ect. I heard our galants have 2 way, but could I use something else. A lot of the pioneer speakers on ebay are 4 or 5 way, could I use them or should I just stick with a 2 way?

Experienced TGC Member
    NYBlack8G Posted: 30 Mar 2007 03:57 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now that I'm in the spending mood, I'm probably going to get some tweeters too. I know this is a really nooB question, but what does it mean when they say 2way, 3 way. 5 way speakers ect. I heard our galants have 2 way, but could I use something else. A lot of the pioneer speakers on ebay are 4 or 5 way, could I use them or should I just stick with a 2 way?
    Usually speakers that are 4 way, usually have two tweeters, as compared to a 2-way speaker that might only have just 1 tweeter. Put it this way, the more "ways" your speakers have the broader range of notes it will hit. For example, plain jane speakers might not hit all the highs and lows that a 4-way set of speakers will. Im sure someone else can elaborate on this.