The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: taking off cats...

Showing results 1 to 10 of 10
    Censee

taking off cats...

ok,i have asked this before,but has anyon seen improvements in removing their catalytics??some say yes that its beter to take em off,and ive also eard that its not such a good idea....has any of u gys seen performance improvements??

If you've got a Cali spec, taking off the precats will net you about 5 HP and put you in the same range as the Fed spec Galants. Taking off the main cat I don't know. I suspect you might get some HP gains, but I can't because of emissions laws in MD.

Chip
    Chip

2000 Basalt Black Metallic GTZ
    (Paint Code: Porsche LC9Z)

Genuine experience carries a lot more credibility than the ability to answer a question.

NO Emissions laws in Florida CHip. I don't think there will be much of a difference aster you take off the main one. Like Chip said you may see some gaind after taking off the pre~cat but The only difference I see from taking off the Main and going to a straight pipe is the amount of sound that comes out of your muffler.
    C.J. Cameron
    RETIRED TUNER!!!!

"Keeping it Simple"

DJ_SI
    Well I would not reccomend you removing your catalitic converter. Not only would it sound horrible but you would also be polluting the air. You could always try to hollow-out your stock cat..............I have heard from numerous people that it helps out.

isn't that pretty much doing the same thing? REmoving the filter either way. If your looking for performance why not just get the header,flexpipe and HFC as a set?
    C.J. Cameron
    RETIRED TUNER!!!!

"Keeping it Simple"

Actually taking out the main-cat would affect the back pressure. It helps to regulate that. Unless of course you don't care about the back pressure.
    2001 Galant ES I4
    Injen RD CAI
    Kamikaze Headers
    Brospeed Prosport Muffler
    Brembo X-drilled/Slotted Rotors
    Progress Springs
    KYB AGX Adjustables
    Racing X Headlights
    Smoked Tails
    Custom Grill
    Titanium Limo Tint
    MOMO Shift Knob
    Tenzo R Mean-6 18"
    JBL 600.1
    2 JL 12W3 D4 in topfire custom box

My ride: http://photos.yahoo.com/nrg_neo

Quote Originally Posted by DJ_SI
    Well I would not reccomend you removing your catalitic converter. Not only would it sound horrible but you would also be polluting the air. You could always try to hollow-out your stock cat..............I have heard from numerous people that it helps out.
    DUH!!! Which one would pollute....removing the cat or removing the insides and leaving a stainless steel shell with nothing in it.

If you gut your cat, it's gonna give you a hollow sound, but that's all. You may just want to remove the cat and replace it with a resonator like a glaspak or a cherry bomb. That will reduce the raspiness of no cat and also reduce the overall noise level
    Chip

2000 Basalt Black Metallic GTZ
    (Paint Code: Porsche LC9Z)

Genuine experience carries a lot more credibility than the ability to answer a question.

Actually, some have even dynoed other make cars and netted HP loss after removal of main cat. I honestly do not think you the gain much if any from removal (or hollowing out) of the catalytic converter itself. I think the main restriction is in the precats is how the precats are designed... with sharp, flat bends and NOT mandrel bend piping with nice, big, round, smooth gradual transitions. As for flow, if you want to get more from the main cat, go with a high flow cat. replacement.

[size=10]<span style='color:white'>. . . .</span>

Experienced TGC Member HeadAche's Avatar
    I still wouldnt do it, because of the loss of back pressure and then u get that weed wacker sound..
    I Shook You At The Track, My Boyz Threw Asprin On The Floor, They Said Now You Gotta Headache...

The illiterate of the twenty-first century will not be those who can not read or write, but those who can not learn, un-learn and re-learn.

i'd jsut get a test pipe made up and just put it on for track day or whatever and then put back the stock cat for when u are normal driving

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.