The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: A'PEXi ITC/Galant ignition questions.

Showing results 1 to 3 of 3

A'PEXi ITC/Galant ignition questions.

Installed the Ignition Timing Converter into my 2003 Galant and it works like a charm. Can feel the changes in adjustments lickity-split after I adjust, and the Galant runs absolutely GREAT with benefit of the fuel injectors. With just 3 deg of adjustment I can feel the acceleration just pull and pull. I am tuning for a turbo and am almost surprised by what that will add.

BUT!

I am getting TDC codes on the Cam and Crank angle sensor. 4 in all, 2 on Cam sensor malfunctions (bank A) and 2 on the crank angle sensor malfunction (bank A). These are the wires that are cut and tapped into to acquire and immediately resending an adjusted signal that changes firing pattern. With the DIS system I am wondering if the voltage of cam/crank sensors are different form the EVO 4 of which I mimicked for the install or the unit is eating up too much power.

Anyone ever have to trouble-shoot there ignition system? Are the Galants Cam/Crank sensors different than the older 4g64? Differing voltages maybe? Anyone have the factory service manual?

Both my AFC NEO and the ITC are running off the ignition circuit to the ECU like the manual says, but maybe there is a power loss from all the extras. They are very low voltage but the issue does not seem to affect the ECU as a whole more than it does the Cam/Crank sensor feedback.

Did I mention that the car is running great?

Any advice?

You are here entirely tooo much!! Stewi's Avatar
    Im not sure about the Cam angle sensor but I know the crank sensor from the 8g and the EVO8 are the exact same thing, I know this because I have 2 of them in front of me, same part#'s. I never messed around with that sort of ignition module. It sounds like your on the right track tho, the only real way to test it is to check the voltage drop with a multimeter, if you have the factory tech manual, you should be able to get the #'s you need to know if your within spec or not.
    Quote Originally Posted by qnz
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

Quote Originally Posted by Stewi
    Im not sure about the Cam angle sensor but I know the crank sensor from the 8g and the EVO8 are the exact same thing, I know this because I have 2 of them in front of me, same part#'s. I never messed around with that sort of ignition module. It sounds like your on the right track tho, the only real way to test it is to check the voltage drop with a multimeter, if you have the factory tech manual, you should be able to get the #'s you need to know if your within spec or not.
    Will do! I sure am sick of taking out the blower motor. I think this is like # 10 or 11 now... I'll post the results of the output voltage. If it is an ITC issue I will have to adjust the output signal voltage. I was worried that there was a feedback issue with the ignition system or related OBD II policed devise.

Took a 1 1/2 hour log with no issues so I am sure it is like a .5 volt variance or something. Thanks