The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: modding my head

Showing results 1 to 10 of 10

modding my head

ok, im done with my turbo project. now moving on......i want to start building up the engine. i want to start with the head. now ive been looking into it and i cant decide on what to do. should i build the sohc head with all new parts (which is hard to find and more expensive) or do a DOHC turbo head swap? im askin because im not sure if i wanna do a head swap right now, its alot of work and expensive. but i did find a complete race turbo 1g head with complete vavle job and all race parts for $1000. i thought that was pretty good. and the only place i found head parts for the SOHC head was at tearstone, and that would be very expensive as well. but price isnt exactly an issue. ill spend up to $1000 on building a head but what is more worth it, the DOHC OR SOHC? dohc-more work and more time. sohc-i can do very quickly and i can move onto the block. i know the DOHC head would give me more power and more options but i want some feedback first. any info would be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance.
    "driving a honda is like being in the special olympics, even if u win ur still retarted"

Id say dohc and then but in a turbo ecu. Reason being parts are more readily avaliable for the dohc head than the sohc though if you went with sohc cams and things you can get custom made how YOU want them. Though with the turbo ecu you could also run the turbo back to the ecu and get some better fuel mapping.

its not even an issue,
    dohc for the win.

and you don't need a competition built head.

get a stock dohc head, get some brian crower 272 cams, brian crower springs, retainers. and some adjustable cam gears.
    then you will be ready to rock and it will cost well under 1000

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

like i said, i found a DOHC head already with competition cams and springs along with brand new valves and retainers. but its $1000. plus i would need help installing it because ive never done something like that before. and i would have to change over the ignition and all that. im just not sure im up to all that at the current moment. getting parts for the SOHC head would definatly be the easier root. idk i want to do some more research before i make my decision. i still need to finish my fuel system right now but that should be done by next month. (installing MAF translator and bigger injectors, i already have larger fuel pump and external FPR.)
    "driving a honda is like being in the special olympics, even if u win ur still retarted"

Quote Originally Posted by ct96mitsug
    like i said, i found a DOHC head already with competition cams and springs along with brand new valves and retainers. but its $1000. plus i would need help installing it because ive never done something like that before. and i would have to change over the ignition and all that. im just not sure im up to all that at the current moment. getting parts for the SOHC head would definatly be the easier root. idk i want to do some more research before i make my decision. i still need to finish my fuel system right now but that should be done by next month. (installing MAF translator and bigger injectors, i already have larger fuel pump and external FPR.)
    but if you stay sohc....
    you still won't have knock dependanct timing advance/retard....
    so you will be making more power, but won't be able to run any more boost safely.

if you man up and do the dohc swap.... you will be able to run 16 lbs right off the bat, with some decent injectors depending on the size of yoru turbo.

with a good tune, you coudl run 20 psi on the stock 4g64 bottom end, provided yours in a good state of repair.

but definatly not with a distributor and sohc

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

hmmm ya i guess that makes sense. so ur saying that i could run 16lb with a stock 64' bottom end? but is that with a stock 63' turbo head mor the modded DOHC head? fyi im getting 510cc injectors this weekend.

The head swap is really not that hard. By reading it all the parts look hard but when you have eveything sitting in front of you and start it will be a little easier to understand. The only hard part would be wiring up the harness which isnt even that hard to do as long as you find all the wiring diagrams.

either head will be capable of outflowing 20 psi on most turbo's.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

well, my turbo is good for 30psi. ill think about the head swap. definately a good investment. i just want to do more research first., i want to find out EVERYTHING i need and get to know it first.

good plan! a little time spent now could save alot of headaches later! I learned the hard way!