The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: weird sound

Showing results 1 to 10 of 10
    gotendbz1

weird sound

I get a weird whining or belt slipping noise when i give the car gas. It kinda sound liek the belt slipping but the noise is much lower and less intense than when you hear a belt slippping. It sounds more like one of those dog whistle that ur not suppose to hear but that sound. Any ideas?Also the noise stay even after the car has been running for more than an hour the noise is still there.

Check your belts for wear.
    A ricer is someone who believes that lights, stickers, useless parts, stupid driving and any other abnormal or dangerous driving habits help them in their need for speed or attention.

gotendbz1
    i'm hoping it just the belts, i chnaged them bout a year and half ago so i dotn know. could any any part to causing this noise?

You are here entirely tooo much!! 4-G-rim's Avatar
    When was the last time you had the drive belts checked or replaced?

-If you never changed them or don't remember when they were last changed....replace the belts

-Check for cracks or tears in the belts. If they show signs of either of the 2..replace the belts

-The belts may of lost tension and you might have to adjust the tension of the belts. Lack of tension will cause the belts the "squeal"

-The Mitsu/DSM crank pulley (harnmonic balancers) are notorious for seperating especially if its been exposed to oil and dry rot of the rubber damper from age and enviromental elements. A common sign that its going out is that the belts squeal alot more often. Inspect the crank pulley..you can tell of the actual pulley is seperating from the rubber dampner. If so...replace ASAP.

1991 Galant VR4 1948/2000_________1996 Galant "S" 5 speed 2.4L turbo

gotendbz1
    is the drive belt the same as the timing belt? and if it is can i check it myself?. also what does a harnmonic balancers look like and y does it soudn like a musical instructment.

The drive belt is different from a timing belt. The timing belt can't be seen unless you remove the timing cover. The drive belts are about a half inch wide and they run your alternator, A/C compressor and power steering pump. The crank pulley (Harmonic Balancer) is the big pulley that you should be able to see right next to your oil pan on the drivers side. It spins all the drive belts.

You might have to remove the left bottom engine cover to see the crank pulley so you can inspect it.

gotendbz1
    yea i think its the drive belts then, but how can they go bad so quickly i changed these like 2 years ago and its alreay bad i only put on 16k on the car 2

The life of drive belts really depend on several factors:

-Quality : Dirt cheap aftermarket belts aren't going to last. I usually buy either OEM or a Napa brand drive belt. Goodyear Gatorbacks are pretty good too.

-Mechanical : If the bearings wether in your P/S pump, Alternator or A/C compressor pulley are bad, it could cause premature wear on your drive belt. If the pulley isn't spinning as freely as the others...the belt and that bad pulley is actually creating friction.

- Enviromental elements: The drive belts are more exposed to heat, water, road debris, etc etc. Depending where you live...the life of the belts are influenced by those factors.

i'll add belt tension to the list of kevins factors.

improper installation... i.e. too much or too little tension

can kill a belt or a pully/bearing

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

gotendbz1
    ok update, it probably is my belt making the noise. here si the question how do i adjust it? also the noise is only happening when i get about 40mph and above.