The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Agents 99 VR-4 Resurrection (Complete)

Showing results 1 to 16 of 16

Agents 99 VR-4 Resurrection (Complete)

Pretty much a copy paste from my 3si.org boards

Enjoy :D

A little history on the car.

My father bought this car when I was 13 years old. I sat in this thing for the first time when I was only 13!!

Sadly he blew the motor on it in march of 2001, with a rediculous amount of nitrous.
    Instead of getting it rebuilt, he thought it would be cheaper to buy a WHOLE nother 99 instead. Thats how we have two 99 VR-4s :P

He decided to sell it in the beginning of 2005, but I didn't have the heart to let it go, I was 19 at the time. So I offered him 9K for basically a shell of a car. I've been selling off parts I didn't need or had extra of, and spent most of my time acquiring parts, like the tranny, transfer case, and complete 95 VR-4 motor, and reading and learning, and lots of using the SEARCH!!

He did have a built nearly 3.2L motor, so I offered him 3k for it since he wasn't going to do anything with it :P and went from there. From the end of march of 2007 I began dissasemblying the 95 VR-4 motor I had just acquired from sundown13x, sold the shortblock from it, and cleaned up the heads a bit.

New gasket everything, new timing belt, tensioner, and water pump. I had an 11k mile oil pump, so I reused that :( 3sx underdrive pulley, and 3sx Oversized Headgaskets, and 3sx EGR block offs, and neatly slapped it back together :P

Two months of work later, and I managed to start the car, and it sounded beautiful and runs surprising very well except for the nasty lifter tick, and it doesn't help that I have 1st gen lifters :( That'll change soon.

Complete mod list: 3sx underdrive pulley, 3sx Oversized Headgaskets, 3sx EGR block offs. HKS EVC III. Gutted pre-cats. ATR downpipe to a 3inch straight through exhaust with no main cat. Vac-reduction. Greddy type-S BOV and a 3.15L sleeved block.

Total cost for a running car. A little under 15k. 1K over budget :P

I've done all the work myself with the help of some friends. (Tool and labor mules :P) and very knowledgeable club members when I had any questions!

Thanks to all that helped me!

The rest is Pretty much a copy paste from Florida3s. Enjoy.

COMPLETE 6/3/2007
    I'll keep it simple and updated often, today's my birthday. And as a b-day gift to myself. I bought a vr-4 motor from sundown13x! LOL it just happened to get shipped near it.

Anyways.

Preparation for tomorrow.

That was at 9am today :P

About 6 hours of work later, I learn that liquid wrench is my new friend. I took off all sorts of rusted and heat "welded" exhaust bolts of without to much work. :D

Come Tomorrow morning there will be a complete motor hanging off of there.

The month of April = completetion hopefully, and Im in the coral springs \ coconut creek area. If anyone wants to help piece back together some history I have plenty to drink and eat :D

Out with the old...
    -01 LS V6 Mods: FOR SALE 8.6k 71k miles. Short Ram CAI, 2.5'' Custom Cat-back with OBX muffler, DEH3700Mp Pioneer Headunit w/12inch MTX subs. Daily driver For
    -99 3000gt VR-4 #184 of 287.

In with the NEW!!!

Everything pretty much assembled,I just finished doing the timing. I hella took my time... Too bad I broke my 15 dollar special pulley tensioner tool :(

Mmm 3sx underdrive pulley :D

Had my friend gut some cats whilie we waited for parts to arrive.

Next big thing on the list for this weekend is repairing my wire harness,

-01 LS V6 Mods: FOR SALE 8.6k 71k miles. Short Ram CAI, 2.5'' Custom Cat-back with OBX muffler, DEH3700Mp Pioneer Headunit w/12inch MTX subs. Daily driver For

Oh man, when I was tightening the Flywheel bolts to spec, the flywheel was turning everything counter-clockwise, and I didn't think much of it. I had a bad feeling once the engine was in the car, I decided to check the timing belt for slack, and what do you know SLACK!!! and a decent amount of it... I nearly threw up, then remember, the flywheel, so I stuck a 22mm socket onto the crank pulley bolt and turned everything and checked timing. Everything lined up and the tension was returned perfect, oh man was that a freaking scare...

And then I scratched my beautiful 3sx underdrive pulley a lil dropping the engine in. :(

UPDATE SHES ALIVE!!

Pics before the running.

I'm the dark haired guy, but im sure the car is whats important here :P

I will get a video clip tomorrow after I fix a coolant leak. Thank you to all that helped!!

Very nice vr4... Excellent work and car you got there Agent|THC
    ---||| 97Galant, E3 16G, Safc, 5spd,Drifter Body |||---

Experienced TGC Member
    veddy nice
    -Chris

Thx for the nice comments :D

Experienced TGC Member o1naturalhigh's Avatar
    :shock:

You are here entirely tooo much!! SkylineG1's Avatar
    sweet

You are here entirely tooo much!! fatal1's Avatar
    nice bro good luck w/ that

wow!! its like you came back from the dead! I see the G in the background still
    Jigz-TGCIL Sosick Motorsports

R.I.P. Christopher "CRAZY CHRIS" Beckmann
    "you dont appreciate friendship until you lose your bestfriend...."
    I'd rather have the knowledge and ability to do it than the money to buy it already done.

Hey man, glad you remember me! I remember you 2 :P

and yeah I still have the G but sadly not for long :(

wow man thats beautiful....i didnt know they made 3000gt's in 99

2011 Camry- 202 miles- just picked up 9/10/10
    2008 Pontiac G6- 26,065 miles- traded in
    1999 Galant ES- 91,846 miles- long gone

Yehp they were the last year produced in the US, and the 99 had a major overhaul in design. IMO the best looking of all years. Best part of all

They only produced 287 99 VR-4's, and we own 2 99 VR-4s :P

Quote Originally Posted by Agent|THC
    Hey man, glad you remember me! I remember you 2 :P

and yeah I still have the G but sadly not for long :(
    of course! I even remember your quad gauge gauge pod!

its unfortunate that you letting the G go, but hey youve moved on to bigger better things a long time ago with the VR-4! lol. good luck man!
    Jigz-TGCIL Sosick Motorsports

R.I.P. Christopher "CRAZY CHRIS" Beckmann
    "you dont appreciate friendship until you lose your bestfriend...."
    I'd rather have the knowledge and ability to do it than the money to buy it already done.

That's slick :D

Now go buy my VR4 valve cover lol
    https://www.thegalantcenter.org/viewtopic.php?t=57017