The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Just put back together. WONT START!!!!!

Showing results 1 to 16 of 16

Just put back together. WONT START!!!!!

Well i put a head back on my 7g and did the timing and now it won't start. I'm getting fuel and the timing is dead nuts. I checked and I don't have spark. The head and distributor came off a running car.

Is there anything anyone can think of that I might have forgotten to plug in or maybe a ground somewhere. Or what's the first thing I can start checking. I was thiking about starting with the distributor tomorrow.

Just out of curiosity, You use the timing "notch" on the cam gear and not the dimple right?

Also compression check showed 220-240 across the board.

those are some pretty high compression numbers btw less your motor is built.

but, i woudl check that yoru crank position sensor is intact.

did your balance shaft belt fail or timing belt fail and thats why you needed to replace your head?

often times belt failures damage the pickup on the crank position sensor.
    happened to my GS engine when a oem balance shaft belt went

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

No failures. I just used the head off this car for another one and now i'm sick of it sitting around so i thru it back together. Where is the crank sensor located?

Quote Originally Posted by Got Rice Galant
    No failures. I just used the head off this car for another one and now i'm sick of it sitting around so i thru it back together. Where is the crank sensor located?
    under the tin crankshaft trigger wheel .

i've always had dis on my galant,
    so i'm not sure,
    but isn't there an incompadability or difference in the distributors over the model years of the 7g?

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

The weird part is all three that i have right now are all 95 S 5spd.'s and the one i'm trying to get running has a crank sensor and the other two don't.

yes there is a compatibility problem, i found out the hard way
    the 94-95 and the 96-98 are not interchangeable

Well I swapped distributors from my 95 to my other 95 and she fired right up. Gotta get the drag radials mounted then put the nitrous in and see how much she holds.

You are here entirely tooo much!! Stewi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Got Rice Galant
    Well I swapped distributors from my 95 to my other 95 and she fired right up. Gotta get the drag radials mounted then put the nitrous in and see how much she holds.
    Make sure your running very high octane fuel if your adding nitrous, especially with those compression numbers you posted.
    Quote Originally Posted by qnz
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

Its a stock block with 115K miles and a stock head with 145K miles. I don't know why the compression numbers were that high. Stock 5spd. tranny with a centerforce clutch. I will be running 93 octane and pulling a few degree's of timing out. I don't see a problem at all with the 75 shot. I'm sure before the end of the year i'll try and give her a 100 shot.

Tell me how that goes, i have a nitrous kit that i got off a car at a junkyard, i have just been afraid to put it on...

djmtz263306
    when you checked your compression did you have all the spark plugs out at once or did you remove and replace the plugs one at a time?

Engine cold and all of them out at the same time.

Well the cars up and running good. Better than ever actually. I filled the motor mounts with polyurethane and actually launched out of the whole on my friends bone stock wrx. Had him by a fender until 2nd gear and he just keeps pulling. A close friend of mine has a 92 accord with an h22 swap and some 14" nitto drags. He has a two step for launching thats set at 5K rpms and I can get him out of the whole by about 2 cars. Can't wait to put some juice to it. Should be in by next weekend. Can't wait.

get some prothane mounts, they are cheap and by far superior to anything you could do with your own urethane.

good luck on getting things up and running again. keep the 7g in the game.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by DOHCstunr
    get some prothane mounts, they are cheap and by far superior to anything you could do with your own urethane.

good luck on getting things up and running again. keep the 7g in the game.
    I wouldn't be too sure. I cut a 2.02 60 ft. on street tires with these mounts.