The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: MASSIVE problems!! NEED HELP!!!

Showing results 1 to 10 of 10

MASSIVE problems!! NEED HELP!!!

Ok so here is the story went to friends house to pick up something comeing back home all hell break loose!!!...Start heading down the road and had windows down and window defroster on cause just rained and glass was foggy. Then i notice this ticking comeing from my side of the car. I have heard it before but not this bad. I notice that it only happens when i acclerate. Well i start to acc. and notice that if i floor it no tick and the car takes of like none other like 0-60 the fastest ive ever seen it. Well then i idle and i notice my rpms jumping so i figure "OOoo i left the defroster on and i havent used heat or air in a LONG time so i turn it off the rpm's settle out and the car dies...Put it in park turn of the headlights and turn everything off and car starts up great but the rpm's fly to 6,500rpm! then they go down to like 100 and the car is idiling allright no tick or anything but should idle bout 1,000. Well i put it in drive and ticking starts and then stops cause the idle jumped alittle bit. Waiting for the light to turn green and the car trys to die out and what i mean is it kinda dies and come back on did 4x and put it in netural gave it some gas and all was allright light turned green and i kept my foot on the pedal at 1,000 while i shift into drive so i wouldnt die and once i was in drive the car didnt want to move till i gave it more gas. Well got green lights the rest of the way home and costed and no sounds. Come to a red light to turn into the neighbor hood and nothing. So i was thinking that water got splashed on the engine and it was trying to die. Second i turn i here the tick so i give some more gas at 3,000 rpm and tick stops let off to make another turn nothing and accelerate nothing hit 2,000 rpm here a tick once i hit 3,000rpm tick stops. Well im like 1 min. away from the house and leaving a stop sign the car dies. This time though i couldnt get it started. I waited 2 mins. and on the second cranck after 1min and 15secs it starts and rpms barley go up so i give it gas to keep her alive to get to the drive way. So now im watching everything hard and once i hit the last stop sign i look and the heat gauge jumps from half way to hot! not slow i mean fast like i almost thought the needle would break if it hit the pole right once i saw it goin up i cut the car then. I look around and nothing leaking and all hoses are connected. Reason i say this is cause my Radiator hoses kept popping off and i just had to check them once in awhile to make sure they were all tight. Everythings fine i look and its slowly cooling down im thinking hey maybe its the thermostat so i turn the key to on and turn on the heater and the temp goes to the middle pretty quick. Well not wanting to add threat to injury i pushed it up the hill into the drive way. So here is the facts.....

1)Engine makes ticking noise when Accelerating
    2)Giving it about 50% or more throttle stops the tick and the car accelerates hard!
    3)Tick happens under soft acceleration from 0rpm-2,500rpm.
    4)After 3,000 rpm car sounds fine and runs fine
    5)Crazy idle and starting idle(6,500rpm)
    6)Car jumped from middle of the thermostat to hot fast!

This engine is bone stock and changed the oil about a week ago with same oil i have been using. Mobil 1 10w 40 and a Mobil 1 oil filter. There is a hole in the CV boot but i dont think the CV joint would be causing this. But Could the Transmission cause this because the last time it was serviced they didn't put in dimond star tranny fluid they used Mercron.

Sounds like you have a few problems, I would edit your post because its a bit difficult to understand all the problems you may have....

But I'll take a shot at this...
    1. Did you get any codes, the spontaneous idle could be due to a bad iac...
    2. Overheating? Could try a new thermostat if nothing is leaking...
    3. All in all your problems sound fixable....
    ---||| 97Galant, E3 16G, Safc, 5spd,Drifter Body |||---

Well, the hole in the cv boot tells me that it definately needs to be replaced. Any damage to that boot, and you will be screwed later. That is probably the ticking sound under acceleration.
    The other problems i cannot be certain about, but (not to scare you) the way you described it is exactly like mine did the 2 days before i walked the crank and threw a rod. (totaled the engine)
    If at all possible (you probably dont have a choice) dont drive the car until you can check out the crank for end play.

Well here is the deal about the boot....I bought a new one planning on replacing it. Well i dont have space so i was goin to get a shop to well thats 50 dollars. Well i only paid 70 for the Transaxle so im thinking about just replacing the whole thing. The thermostat is brand new less the 3 months. And i have been getting a CEL for a long time it is P0505 its the IAC and i have replaced it 2 times and we cant get the light to go off and the dealership looked at it and they couldnt figure it out cause the iac's worked when they tested them.

Only reason i ask about the transmission is because it happens in drive so i didnt know if it was the transmission or when i put a load on the cranckshaft

you might want to have a mechanic look at your car.
    like... right away.

Quote Originally Posted by dknight3
    you might want to have a mechanic look at your car.
    like... right away.
    Yeah, i would have to agree.
    Without being there, none of us can tell you what it is for sure.
    If possible i would get it towed to a mechanic that you trust and get them to check it out.

Ok well this morning i looked at the car and noticed lots of things this morning. Some how the radiator hoses blew off of the radiator the upper and lower one from the radiator which explains the over heatings. There is fluid all over my tranny and kinda looks like tranny fluid and i think one of those hoses has a hole in it. I got the ticking to stop for a little bit. But overall it looks like im going to have to start building another motor cause this one has sustained to much damage i could rebuild this one but im just going to build another block so there is less down time and the other engine runs good just it doesnt like alot of driving on it say more than 15 miles and it starts to whine and bark and start to jump.

I have heard that if the iac motor goes bad it frys your computer (the iac motor grounds out).

It wasnt the iac it was hoses had popped off. Motor runs just got to watch it and if it starts running bad i just put some restore in it and it goes fine. Though its not a permanat fix im building a new motor anyway

You are here entirely tooo much!! Jeffylou87's Avatar
    Ouch.. Were the hoses ever replaced?