The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: What do they do when you get an alignment?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Showing results 21 to 23 of 23
    Quote Originally Posted by pinoy724
    I went through Hunter Engineering Company School for alignments. For example, say your left front wheel is +1.25 toe, that means the front of the wheel is pointing left, and your right wheel is -1.25, that means your right wheel is also pointing left, so you think that wouldn't cause a pull to the left and also your stearing wheel will be off set. I've been doing alignments for over a year now, and my return customers are 1 in 100, and I do atleast 40 alignments per week. So I know what I'm talikng about.
    Sounds like Hunter needs to correct whoever taught you about alignments. Toe never has been a pull angle. You can consult with 99% of real mechanics and find that out, you can consult with every suspension company, and every automobile manufacturer, and every tire manufacturer and every one will tell you toe does NOT cause pulls.

Yes I think you need to go back to school.

Quote Originally Posted by RedGalant2k1
    Quote Originally Posted by pinoy724
    I went through Hunter Engineering Company School for alignments. For example, say your left front wheel is +1.25 toe, that means the front of the wheel is pointing left, and your right wheel is -1.25, that means your right wheel is also pointing left, so you think that wouldn't cause a pull to the left and also your stearing wheel will be off set. I've been doing alignments for over a year now, and my return customers are 1 in 100, and I do atleast 40 alignments per week. So I know what I'm talikng about.
    Sounds like Hunter needs to correct whoever taught you about alignments. Toe never has been a pull angle. You can consult with 99% of real mechanics and find that out, you can consult with every suspension company, and every automobile manufacturer, and every tire manufacturer and every one will tell you toe does NOT cause pulls.

Yes I think you need to go back to school.
    Toe does cause pull dude.... If i go underneath your car and crank out your left tie rod end all the way and the other one the same way, and have both of your wheels pointing off the center horizontal axis, then your car is going to pull like hell relative to the centerline. on the same note, professional racers like to take their toe and go toe out on both front tires slightly, this helps turn in, but will make the car wander slightly if you try to go in a straight line at high speeds. Toe in will make the car more stable because both front wheels are pointing slightly towards the center axis of the vehicle. also you always want a slight amount of toe, without it you wouldnt have grip worth crap. the tread on the tire needs to squirm by about 20%, give or take, for optimum traction.
    2003 Dover White Mitsubishi Galant ES

1997 Tarmac Black Mitsubishi Eclipse GST

Quote Originally Posted by proteusx301
    Toe does cause pull dude.... If i go underneath your car and crank out your left tie rod end all the way and the other one the same way, and have both of your wheels pointing off the center horizontal axis, then your car is going to pull like hell relative to the centerline. on the same note, professional racers like to take their toe and go toe out on both front tires slightly, this helps turn in, but will make the car wander slightly if you try to go in a straight line at high speeds. Toe in will make the car more stable because both front wheels are pointing slightly towards the center axis of the vehicle. also you always want a slight amount of toe, without it you wouldnt have grip worth crap. the tread on the tire needs to squirm by about 20%, give or take, for optimum traction.
    Toe cause tire wear. Incorrect toe in the rear can allow for dogtracking, but thats not a pull. Incorrect toe also causes your steering wheel to be out of center, again not a pull condition. I'd reread your manuals toe is not a pull angle.

I deal with thousands of customer on a monthly basis many of whom when asked simply state "Oh well the vehicle drives straight...?" Yet it somehow turns out to need a correction in toe.

Look I'm not questioning your qualities as mechanics, but get your knowledge straight before a customer calls you out on it.

If you have a vehicle with +/- 1.25 degrees in toe its because of a) parts have just been replaced b) a suspension part is bent.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12