The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: A/C not working very well.

Showing results 1 to 15 of 15

A/C not working very well.

It's been real hot here in Los Angeles lately and the A/C in my Galant does not work very well. The air doesn't get very cold even when the knob is at max cold. What could be wrong? How can I get this fixed? Thanks.
    - 2002 Sentra SE-R Spec V (stock)
    - 1999 Mitsubishi Galant V6 (auto)
    "In the past, God overlooked such ignorance, but now He commands all people everywhere to repent. For He has set a day when He will judge the world with justice by the Man [Jesus Christ] whom God appointed. He has given proof of this to all men by raising Him from the dead." Acts 17:30-31.

You are here entirely tooo much!! SkylineG1's Avatar
    A lot could be wrong. You could have a leak in the piping, bad compressor, etc. You'll have to take it to an air condition repair shop so that they can diagnose the problem.

Thanks, I found an A/C repair shop a few miles from where I live. I'll take it sometime this week.
    "In the past, God overlooked such ignorance, but now He commands all people everywhere to repent. For He has set a day when He will judge the world with justice by the Man [Jesus Christ] whom God appointed. He has given proof of this to all men by raising Him from the dead." Acts 17:30-31.

make sure you arent out of cooling fluid first... because odds are that any AC repair place in LA will try to rip you off...
    A ricer is someone who believes that lights, stickers, useless parts, stupid driving and any other abnormal or dangerous driving habits help them in their need for speed or attention.

You are here entirely tooo much!! Stewi's Avatar
    LOL.. Yeah that is definetly true, most A/C shops are shady. You can go to an auto parts store and buy an A/C recharge kit for about $20 and do that first. If recharging it doesnt solve the problem, your in to spend at least $80 for them to diagnose the problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by qnz
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

Check your coolant level, check any parts for damage or leakage. If nothing is obvious than take it to shop that can effectively and properly diagnose your a/c issues.

I should also mention your A/C can only be so much cooler than the surrounding air. The general rule of thump is a maximum 30 degrees cooler than the outside air temp.

Not withholding if the vehicle has poor coolant, or a coolant system issue.

when was the last time you checked your cabin filter?? you can add all the freon you want, turn up the fans all you want spend hundreds of dollars but its still won't help if air can't get through a clogged cabin filter

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

mine slowly got worse and finally quit blowing cold a while back... with a cheap set of guages and a hanes manual, you can find out if it has enough freon and if the compressor is workin pretty quick. if those are both good, its probably the filter/dryer. thats what was wrong with mine... if u dont hate workin on cars you should probably do it yourself. its really not that hard and u can probably do it yourself for less than half the cost at an a/c shop.
    Diamond Star Motors - Turning ordinary people into mechanics since 1989.

Well guys, thanks for all your input. I took it to an A/C shop and they recharged it freon, cleaned the cabin filter (i will probably just buy a new one) and adjusted the A/C compressor belt (i think that's what it's called.) Oh yeah, they also closed the recirculation vents, so they are permanently closed (finally!) I paid $55. The A/C blows cooler air and probably be better once I replace the cabin filter. Overall, i think it was worth it.

$55. not too bad... but why did the close the recirculation vents?
    Diamond Star Motors - Turning ordinary people into mechanics since 1989.

Quote Originally Posted by silver_beast98
    $55. not too bad... but why did the close the recirculation vents?
    Because the motor that controls it is busted, and so they closed the recirculation vents by "jumping" the motor. The recirculation vents were always open, they would not close. So when I was driving on the freeway, you could feel a draft coming in. Also, the A/C works best when the recirculation vents are closed. I told him to just close the vents permanently to stop hot air from the engine coming into the cabin. Yeah, $55 is pretty good, considering the stealership wanted to $110 just to diagnose the problem.

Experienced TGC Member Divinity's Avatar
    stealership haha
    ~Lady Driven~

Well, I took the g/f out to dinner in the Galant and used the A/C and it works so much better now. We were nice and cool in the car while the outside temp was near 90F. Those $55 were well worth it!

awesome! glad you got it working correctly

btw that little recirculation motor isnt hard to change. just get one from the jy and you will see that its not hard to take out

2011 Camry- 202 miles- just picked up 9/10/10
    2008 Pontiac G6- 26,065 miles- traded in
    1999 Galant ES- 91,846 miles- long gone

Quote Originally Posted by cdipier2
    awesome! glad you got it working correctly

btw that little recirculation motor isnt hard to change. just get one from the jy and you will see that its not hard to take out
    I'm sure it's a quick fix, but I never use the recirculation button. i always leave the vents closed. I keep the vents closed in my Sentra as well.