The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Do you hear lots of air in your intake manifold?

Showing results 1 to 11 of 11
    mbssbm

Do you hear lots of air in your intake manifold?

Is something wrong with mr car? It sounds like a wind storm in my intake manifold. If I turn off my radio I can hear it inside the car? Does anyone else hear this?

Well your mods don't list anything about an intake, so I assume you're running stock. If so, then yea, that's a problem. Look for leaks in the intake and the around the stock airbox. If you have an aftermarket Ram or CAI, the sound of additional air being sucked in is normal.

Chip
    Chip

2000 Basalt Black Metallic GTZ
    (Paint Code: Porsche LC9Z)

Genuine experience carries a lot more credibility than the ability to answer a question.

Is there any decrease in your performance or other signs of problems?

You'll know because a) your check engine light would be on, and your Galant would be stalling out. I say this because what you're explaining sounds like you're getting too much air but this description sounds typical if you had a aftermarket intake system installed or if you used the flip airbox technique, in which case you don't have anything to worry about as this is normal with these particular modifications.

Experienced TGC Member HeadAche's Avatar
    I only hear it on my short ram.. If u are running stock then you may have a leak or a hole in the phlenum, and that u will have to repair or replace..
    I Shook You At The Track, My Boyz Threw Asprin On The Floor, They Said Now You Gotta Headache...

The illiterate of the twenty-first century will not be those who can not read or write, but those who can not learn, un-learn and re-learn.

i'd pop open the hood and carefully use my ear to determine the sounds location

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

mbssbm
    well i do have the flipbox mod done, and i recognized the sound change. But now its sounds stronger and louder. Let me go check out my engine like pinoy said and i'll get back with you guys.

Senior TGC Member
    I've personally never heard a sound like the one you're describing, not even when I left my intake off the intake plenum (of course my engine died after about 5 seconds of idling). I think there's a device that listens for sounds, seems to be more accurate than the human ear (unless you tune pianos for a living). Forget what it's called though.
    "Daisy tumbled short of his dreams, not through her own fault, but because of the colossal vitality of his illusion... No amount of fire or freshness can challenge what a man will store up in his ghostly heart. " - F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby

"I have not failed 700 times. I have not failed once. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work." - Thomas Edison

ok the way u describe it its most likely the air being sucked into ur filter and through ur intake pipe. but make sure just incase

mbssbm
    well i listened to it and it sounded like a brewing kettle.

cdaw2001ES
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>Forget what it's called though.</div>
    a microphone...
    I prefer a stethoscope, less wires involved.

btw if anybody needs one, I got em for $6.00, and we stock a range from $12-$600
    (My Wife an I run a uniform /Nursing supply shop www.englesdiscount.com

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mbssbm)</div><div class='quotemain'>well i listened to it and it sounded like a brewing kettle.</div>

and then when u shift gears, lets say to aprk, neutral etc etc, the tone of the kettle changes right? thats ur intake, its natural