The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Finished my doorpanels! 56K...do people still use that?!?

Showing results 1 to 15 of 15
    Experienced TGC Member

Finished my doorpanels! 56K...do people still use that?!?

Finally painted and re-installed my interior pieces. The paint on the window controls couldve been better. And i still need to re-paint the radio bezel...again. But im pretty satisfied with the way it looks for now. That switch is for my interior neons. I have white up front, and red in the back. Enjoy!

panels look good, but WTF happened with the black painted trim??!?!?!

Experienced TGC Member
    Quote Originally Posted by QnzMostWanted
    panels look good, but WTF happened with the black painted trim??!?!?!
    Theyre shiny as hell. At first i used a Flat black paint. Then i applied a clear coat to protect the paint from wear. After applying the clear coat...those panels looked shiny as all hell in sunlight. They dont look too bad in person though. I took those pics at 8 this morning, so the sunlight was pretty intense. I somehow managed to get a couple of scratches here and there as i was trying to reinstall them.

everything looks good but the paint.. i understand what qnz was saying.... see how in the radio bezzzel pic ... it looks like there are lines and chips on the black paint

Experienced TGC Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mattalicslvr8g02
    everything looks good but the paint.. i understand what qnz was saying.... see how in the radio bezzzel pic ... it looks like there are lines and chips on the black paint
    Yeh the radio bezel was fine at first, but once i added the clear coat....it began to crack for some reason. Im going to be buying a new bezel soon. That way i can paint it the proper way.

i'll have a bezel for sale soon, its already gonna be painted black

Experienced TGC Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 00GalantMan
    what kind of paint did you use?
    Krylon Fusion flat black Im going to be picking up some BUlldog next time i do painting. I dont care what nayone says...Krylon Fusion isnt all the rave like people say. I prepped every piece properly. Sanded it twice with two different grades of paper. Rinsed them off with Rubbing alcohol. And i held the can about 8 inches away. And the paint still cracked and formed fish eyes. Thats why i said ima pick up a can of that BUlldog. I hear it helps the paint stick to the surface damn good 8)

ok thats the problem....the Fusion paint is for plastic and doesnt require a clearcoat...thats why it cracked, its also designed to flex and the clearcoat isnt. i've used fusion paint without sanding and i didnt get any fisheye.....i dunno..

fusion paint doesnt have to be sanded first either
    but qnz is right, the clear coat wont flex with the paint so it cracks

<<<speaking from experience

Experienced TGC Member
    Ight thanks for the tips. Ill prolly be re-painting in a week or two. I gotta order a new radio bezel first. And ima stop by the junkyard and see if i can pick up some new door trim pieces.

Yeah, I painted some of my interior pieces with Krylon Fusion High Gloss paint years ago and it's holding up perfectly. I didn't sand or anything, just made sure the pieces were clean.

TGC Regular
    so fusion paint is the way to go...no sanding and it will do the job...wish i would have known earlier...its a bitch to sand down the wood interior pieces

Experienced TGC Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lnkn52
    so fusion paint is the way to go...no sanding and it will do the job...wish i would have known earlier...its a bitch to sand down the wood interior pieces
    Ha. PLastic is just as much of a pain

looks nice brother