The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: i need opinions...

Showing results 1 to 16 of 16

i need opinions...

okay, i went and got my tires changed a few weeks ago and i saw these in the store and they kind of interest me. i was just wondering if anyone had an opinion as to which would look better...

the ones i was originally planning to get...

the ones i saw in the store...

or in black...

thanks in advance!
    '03
    rockin' the DE

I like the Enkie's more actually. Either ones will probably look good since you have a silver car

You are here entirely tooo much!! fatal1's Avatar
    i like the style of the first ones but what brand are they enkie is a pretty good wheel, but the style is played out a bit and imho the second set isnt the greatest style for teh galant i dont think

the first ones are knock-offs of SSR GT3 (which are VERY nice wheels). knockoffs are yucky... if you like those get the real thing. can't go wrong w/ ENKEI (evo8's have stock ENKEI's) so those are a good choice too.

First set.

the first set is MSR, from what i've seen/heard they're a good wheel. and they're not very cheap, so i assumed they werent knockoffs, but i may be wrong.
    '03
    rockin' the DE

You are here entirely tooo much!! 99 galant's Avatar
    the silver ones i think

You are here entirely tooo much!! 99 galant's Avatar
    try doing a poll to get the numbers better

Quote Originally Posted by 03_silver_8g
    the first set is MSR, from what i've seen/heard they're a good wheel. and they're not very cheap, so i assumed they werent knockoffs, but i may be wrong.
    $149 each for 18x8 ( http://www.thewheelconnection.com/ph...&brandsearch=1 ) is too cheap for a QUALITY wheel... that's the first tipoff. (i think our stock alloy wheels cost more than that!) anyways, rule of thumb is a good quality wheel costs significantly more than the tire you mount on it; if the wheel is that cheap, there's a good chance it is a copy of a much better wheel from a much better company.

MSR even knocked-off SSR's logo:

here's a pick of the SSR GT3 for reference:

i like the last ones
    RIP GALANT, GOOD MORNING BMW 330i

330i ZSP (E90) - S4 (B5) / hellaflush

MSRs aren't bad wheels. They are owned by Eagle Alloys. They have local distribution in Michigan actually and if you like those I've got good access and great pricing for those wheels. Plus hundreds more styles.

As for being knockoffs from the SSRs? Maybe so, but the SSRs are also 3-piece forged wheels, the MSRs are 1-piece cast wheels. Each company is aimed at different buyers.

My 19" 1-pc Motegi's cost almost exactly as much as my BFG KDW2 tires. I'd consider them good quality single piece cast wheels. If you want to come out of your pocket for 3-pc wheels then the SSRs are a nice pick. But most people aren't going to spend $750 per wheel (or more) let alone even for a set of wheels most people don't want to spend $750.

The MSRs, Enkeis, or any similar brand are all good inexpensive options. All have to be properly cared for to last and the biggest different in the longevity of your wheels includes using a better tire. Using cheap tires achieves a cheap ride and more likelyhood to have damaged wheels from road hazards.

I'd say buy decent wheels and good tires.

i don't really like the bolts around the outside of the ssr's, and i don't think those come in black...?

and i'm not looking to spend much over $1k on wheels/tires. i know this won't get me much, but i'm kind of on a tight budget, 'cause all i have is a summer job. nothing during the school year.

and i really like the look of the msr black wheel.

thanks for all the info 2k1! :D
    '03
    rockin' the DE

Experienced TGC Member Divinity's Avatar
    Black rims FTW! Either style looks good.
    ~Lady Driven~

I say save your money and wait till someone out there is selling some solid rims for cheap. i paid 900 for my zigens and those came with tires. I saved my self at least 1k. my SSR's i bought for 400 bucks. The volks are another story but just wait it out and check ebay and craigslist. Theres always someone out there who needs to get rid of high quality rims cuz some shiet went down and they need the cash asap. The enkei's are nice but seriously you can find nicer rims for the same price if you just wait it out.
    02 Galant ES I4 ~ DD. JDM Kit/BBS LM Gold/D2/EvoRecaro/EGR/JL Audio/Eclipse Audio/Greddy/Injen/Project Kics/Brembos
    2010 Lexus IS350c Tungsten Pearl Mica/Volk GTM/H&R Springs/F sport intake/Project Kics/Lems Shift knob
    2010 Lexus IS-F Ultrasonic Blue/Volk TE37/HKS Hipermax IV GT/Ventross Kit/Lexon/JoezPerformance/Tom's/Project Kics/RR-racing tune
    2009 Acura TL w/Tech package A-spec Kit/ BBS LM/Tein