The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Removing front seat backs

Showing results 1 to 10 of 10
    BlankMan

Removing front seat backs

You know - the backs of the front seats (hehe - sounds funny). Anyway - the hard plastic back is what I'm talking about here. Anyone know how to remove it from the seat assembly? I'm guessing it just pops off? The service manual shows two spots where there should be slots to insert a screwdriver, but my 01 ES does not have those... Thanks.

EDIT: it's #11 on page 52A-16 if you look in the manual... those things.

J

what do you mean, you dont have those?

BlankMan
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(manybrews)</div><div class='quotemain'>what do you mean, you dont have those?</div>

I mean the slots shown in the service manual do not exist on the hard plastic on the back of my front seats. I want to remove the hard plastic on the back to re-cover. Makes sense, right?

J

My manual is for 99's so I found what your talking about on page 52A-29. If you notice, the two spots where the clips are, there are broken line squares like a coupon border. Well, that means that the clips are on the inside of the plastic, not on the outside, so you can't see them. You just need to get a screwdriver under the plastic as close to where the clips are as possible and pry unless you have to actually hit the clips for them to release.

you need to stick a screwdrive in at the base of the back from the side. you push the retaining clip inward on both sides.

Experienced TGC Member HeadAche's Avatar
    Just out of plain curiosity, why do you want to take that piece off?
    I Shook You At The Track, My Boyz Threw Asprin On The Floor, They Said Now You Gotta Headache...

The illiterate of the twenty-first century will not be those who can not read or write, but those who can not learn, un-learn and re-learn.

I would take off the back cover and add a net there just like the old style mercedes, so I can put my thomas guide there instead of having it slide around under my passenger seats which is annoying......
    2001 Galant ES I4
    Injen RD CAI
    Kamikaze Headers
    Brospeed Prosport Muffler
    Brembo X-drilled/Slotted Rotors
    Progress Springs
    KYB AGX Adjustables
    Racing X Headlights
    Smoked Tails
    Custom Grill
    Titanium Limo Tint
    MOMO Shift Knob
    Tenzo R Mean-6 18"
    JBL 600.1
    2 JL 12W3 D4 in topfire custom box

My ride: http://photos.yahoo.com/nrg_neo

What about using the little cubby hole on the front doors?

Jason

www.edelhausrottweilers.com

Drama? I handle 150lb rotties all day, I can handle your drama...

BlankMan
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Kemist aka Shane)</div><div class='quotemain'>Just out of plain curiosity, why do you want to take that piece off?</div>

I'm doing my interior right now - recovering the seats & door panels, chroming the door handles, painting the trim pieces, etc. I want to remove the plastic from the back to apply batting and a mathcing cover.

Thanks for the info, all. I will try this tonight.

J

Experienced TGC Member HeadAche's Avatar
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BlankMan)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Kemist aka Shane)</div><div class='quotemain'>Just out of plain curiosity, why do you want to take that piece off?</div>

I'm doing my interior right now - recovering the seats & door panels, chroming the door handles, painting the trim pieces, etc. I want to remove the plastic from the back to apply batting and a mathcing cover.

Thanks for the info, all. I will try this tonight.

J</div>

Ohh okay, what color are you re-doing your interior?
    I Shook You At The Track, My Boyz Threw Asprin On The Floor, They Said Now You Gotta Headache...

The illiterate of the twenty-first century will not be those who can not read or write, but those who can not learn, un-learn and re-learn.