The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Cracked Radiator!!!

Showing results 1 to 18 of 18

Cracked Radiator!!!

well, i didnt want to believe it but shit happens. while cleaning my G's engine bay compartment, u know dusting it w/ a brush, getting into every nook and cranny. when it came to passing the brush over the radiator i see water, im like WTF! looked a lil' closer to find that i have like a 4" crack on the top. :shock:

Would i be able to patch up this bad boy with liquid solder or sumthing??? what costs would i be looking @ to replace it??? ne one had this problem happen to them??? :oops: even though it has the crack it doesnt push out the fluid like when a pipe bursts.

You are here entirely tooo much!! Stewi's Avatar

Re: Cracked Radiator!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Frankv
    well, i didnt want to believe it but shit happens. while cleaning my G's engine bay compartment, u know dusting it w/ a brush, getting into every nook and cranny. when it came to passing the brush over the radiator i see water, im like WTF! looked a lil' closer to find that i have like a 4" crack on the top. :shock:

Would i be able to patch up this bad boy with liquid solder or sumthing??? what costs would i be looking @ to replace it??? ne one had this problem happen to them??? :oops: even though it has the crack it doesnt push out the fluid like when a pipe bursts.
    Well since its not already leaking, patching it up with some glue cant hurt. Personally, I would get some high temp plastic specific epoxy, sand down all around the crack, with 200 grit paper and then cover it with a nice layer of epoxy.
    Quote Originally Posted by qnz
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

and oh yeah... the worst that can happen is it will start to leak and you need to replace it. You can get an aftermarket OEM style radiator for like $100 on ebay and install it yourself in about 45 mins.
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

update*** called around and found a shop that replaces the whole plastic top for 113 bux. not bad. 113 taking it out yourself. if i wouldve had them do it 265. screw that. should have it before 5pm. not too shabb :)

yeah i was thinking bout that epoxy idea but then i figured that if i do this, chances are it will start to crack inside then when i least expect it get stranded on the side of the road. :shock:

but why replace just the top if you can replace the whole thing for cheaper?

100 new radiator.
    113 new top.

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

i needed my ride fixed by 2day. i wouldve had to wait 3-5 days for a new one to come in. and itd cost me double.

i called a shop and they said they would do everything for 5 bills. screw that.

I had the same crack on my radiator, but mine was leaking. I repalced the whole radiator my self for $100. Took me an hour or less.

yea thankfully our engine bays have enough room so that changing the rad is a lot easier then some other cars

2011 Camry- 202 miles- just picked up 9/10/10
    2008 Pontiac G6- 26,065 miles- traded in
    1999 Galant ES- 91,846 miles- long gone

Experienced TGC Member milo111000's Avatar
    same crack as mine. still running the same radiator. no probs what so ever.

yeah i was thinking bout that epoxy idea but then i figured that if i do this, chances are it will start to crack inside then when i least expect it get stranded on the side of the road. :shock:

don't fix it yourself... its too painless and inexpensive. and man you really woudl be up a creek when it works for as long as you own your car.....

its much much better to write checks to people.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

mine has been cracked like that for two years, leaks just a lil. I leaned over the car one time w/ my hand on top of the hose when it was warm and cracked it. But i havent had any probs out of it. The top piece from a shop where i live is $40 bucks, so either way you still got screwed!

update*** called around and found a shop that replaces the whole plastic top for 113 bux. not bad. 113 taking it out yourself. if i wouldve had them do it 265. screw that. should have it before 5pm. not too shabb :)
    That plastic top tank is bonded to the metal radiator core with epoxy, how do you intend on seperating them without damaging the radiator? Its not like you can just heat it up and seperate them easily, the radiator gets to be 200+ degrees hot which means the glue withstands that temp and more.
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

you cant do it yourself but a radiator shop can, 40 for the part and 50 for labor, is the price i got

Quote Originally Posted by badmitsu
    mine has been cracked like that for two years, leaks just a lil. I leaned over the car one time w/ my hand on top of the hose when it was warm and cracked it. But i havent had any probs out of it. The top piece from a shop where i live is $40 bucks, so either way you still got screwed!
    One big difference bro... you live in Arkansas. prices may be a whole lot cheaper there, than California.