The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: NO HEAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Showing results 1 to 15 of 15
    2002ShadowDeamon

NO HEAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Okay, here is the deal. Last winter, my heater started to make a real loud clicking sound when I changed it from cold to hot. Then all of a sudden my heat didnt work. I was told that it could be my heater core was out or that the little door/flap that allowed air to the heater core was stuck so that the air was bypassing the heater core. Does anyone know how I can check to see if my heater core is out or how to open the door/flap? Please help! Starting to get cold out and have no heat to get rid of morning due or frost. Thanks.

Experienced TGC Member
    U got the same problem as me. Let me explain...

When you turn your thermostat control from Cold to Hot. There is a motor that sets into motion a metal arm that opens a valve inside a pipe running into your heater core. Now when this valve opens, it allows hot coolant to enter the heater core, and heat it up. A fan blows air over the heater core. As the air moves over the core, it heats up. Thats where you get your heat from.
    Now when you switch from Hot to Cold, that valve is being closed. Therefore no warm coolant is entering the heater core to produce warm air. Thats why you get cold air.

Now as for the noise....you need to replace the motor that causes the arm to open/close the valve. That clicking noise you hear is actually the motor dying. Believe me...i saw it. Its a sad sight indeed. You need to replace that motor. Il ltry and see if i can get a part number. But its going to be expensive Labor wise. You will need to remove your upper dashboard to access this motor. Or you can do what i did and leave it on Hot until the spring.

Heres my thread...
    https://thegalantcenter.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=58181

2002ShadowDeamon
    Well, see the problem is that it has already gone out. I have no heat at all. Have you replaced your motor yet? What did it run you? What is the actual part name so that I dont sound like a retard (no offense) when I talk to the dealership, cause I wont be able to do this on my own cause I have no place to do this kind of work. And what is the part going to run me?

Experienced TGC Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 2002ShadowDeamon
    Well, see the problem is that it has already gone out. I have no heat at all. Have you replaced your motor yet? What did it run you? What is the actual part name so that I dont sound like a retard (no offense) when I talk to the dealership, cause I wont be able to do this on my own cause I have no place to do this kind of work. And what is the part going to run me?
    Well....if u remove your lower dash trim. And then remove the floor ducts, you should be able to see the motor. If you tap on it a couple of times with a screwdriver, it might open up the valve allowing you to use your heat. Ill check for a part number.

https://www.mitsubishiparts.com/oe_parts_catalog.html
    ^This might be the part right there. Ill see if i can get you a pic of exactly what it is. But the above link sounds alot like the part.

You are here entirely tooo much!! SkylineG1's Avatar
    6G72 did you fix your heat yet?

Experienced TGC Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SkylineG1
    6G72 did you fix your heat yet?
    Its ghetto rigged for now I only have heat. I cant move my thermostat control to cold, because if i do....i might lose my heat forever! :shock: I got the same problem as this guy. My damn motor needs to be replaced. It took a couple of minutes of tapping it with a screwdriver just to get it to work. So i left it on heat for the time being. Ill be fixing it this spring. From the looks of where its located, ill need to remove the upper dashboard. <<<Good time to redo my dash 8)

2002ShadowDeamon
    Do you know what the name of the motor is? I am going to call the Mitsu dealer today and see what they say about it.

I have the same problem :x
    How do you open your lower dash?
    thanks

2002ShadowDeamon
    Okay, Problem solved. And it only cost me $438. But atleast i have heat :D :twisted:

Experienced TGC Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 2002ShadowDeamon
    Okay, Problem solved. And it only cost me $438. But atleast i have heat :D :twisted:
    $438? WTF did you have done>?

Experienced TGC Member Divinity's Avatar
    :shock: Holy shit, yeah what did you have done exactly? I have the same problem with the clunking noise when you switch from cold to hot.
    ~Lady Driven~

It is the heater control motor. The part number is MR958603, and can be had for $96.25 + $14.95 ($111.20 total) from https://www.mitsubishiparts.com/oe_parts_catalog.html , or $136.35 from the dealership.

I did mine yesterday, and it only took about 2 hours. Most of the time was actually spent tearing out the center console to get to a dropped screw (you don't have to remove the center console or take out the top of the dash). You do need a small screwdriver and someone with small hands would be useful. The job is really simple, but tedious. Go slow, have patience, and don't drop any screws.

Experienced TGC Member Divinity's Avatar
    Okay, now that price sounds better.
    ~Lady Driven~

There is one trick to it. You'll have to remove a plastic elbow of heat ducting. There is a pop pin on the top of it that took me a good 10 minutes to find.

2002ShadowDeamon
    That was the part, and the dealer charged me $144 for it. Then they charged me $275 for labor and a few dollars on a clip that they broke when removing the whole dash. They told me that they would have to remove the entire dash to get to it. I was hoping that it was something that I could have done myself, but i dont have anywhere do work on my car cause my stupid ass landlord wont let me do any work on my car. A lot of money for something that i needed. And to all of those that i have been trying to buy stuff off of, now you know why it never went through. Sorry about that to those that i backed out on. :?