The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: My 6A12 MIVEC V6 engine build

Showing results 1 to 5 of 5

My 6A12 MIVEC V6 engine build

Hey guys merry christmas etc, I haven't been here in a while but thought I would post up the progress of my engine build for those that were interested.

It's a 6A12 DOHC 24V V6 with MIVEC-MD found factory in a rare model 7th gen E54A Galant VX-R.

It's quite an interesting engine, despite it's 2000cc size it pumps out 200hp @ 7500rpm and continues on to the 8500rpm redline. It features Mitsubishi's first instance of MIVEC variable valve timing as well as Modulated Displacement disabling one bank of cylinders when not required. The core block itself is small compared to your typical four cylinder - but the cylinder heads together make up for more than half the sheer size of the engine.

On with the pics:

After I had the unfortunate happen to my '94 VX-R automatic:

I decided to donate the good engine from my '93 VX-R 5spd in order to sell the '94:

and then order parts to rebuild the broken engine and put it back into the '93:

and proceeded to put the engine back together over the course of a few months when I had time:

These heads are quite complex and are split in two sections:

Making progress:

Pretty awesome angled and shaped ports:

Gearbox attached, ready to drop back into the car:

After the persuasion, the engine is back in the car however it's having slight issues with the MD system on the front head, which these solenoids will need repairing or replacing:

They control the MIVEC cam lobe switchover as well as control the closure of all the valves when MD is enabled. Pics of the rocker arm setup:

That's it so far - hope to post up a video of it's initial startup and break-in runs.

You are here entirely tooo much!! fatal1's Avatar
    nice progress good luck

talk about surgery...good stuff man hope to see those vids soon
    The "Tumbler" Is Here
    Stock Longblock/Stock PCM | Custom Garrett 50-1 | 17 Psi | Weighing 2xxxLbs
    3xxWHP/3xxWTQ [Current]

i can't wait to see the final product!!

Well I got the car running - turns out the solenoid which controls the MD was stuck open so the front bank of cylinders had its valves permanently closed and was running on just the rear bank. In my haste I didn't get a chance to take pics or a video but next time I'm at my parents (where the car is stored for now while I do the work) I'll be sure to get some. In the meantime these are pics I took before I took it off the road: