The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: transmission problem???

Showing results 1 to 9 of 9

transmission problem???

k, so i'm coming back from work in CT and i enter I-95. the shift from 2nd to 3rd made my wheels jump, i thought nothing of it. It happened again when traffic slowed down and sped up again, almost like if my wheels were "hopping". I pulled off the next exit and drove down Rt. 1 instead. Every time my car shifted into third, it would jump. Is there something wrong with the transmission? Maybe a stripped gear or something with the crank?? :?
    also, my battery died while in CT as well, but someone helped me jump-start the car so i got back to school safe and sound (going to get a new battery tonight)

Any input is appreciated, thanks in advance.

02 Mit. Galant 5 Spd -> 2010 Mit. Lancer Sportback 5 Spd -> (current) 2014 Mit Evo GSR 5 Spd
    run1206's Rear Disc Tutorial
    run1206's CF Hood Resurface Tutorial

It may just need time to program from the battery problem. Give it a day or two. If it doesn't improve than the trans may need servicing.

How many miles on the car?

did u have a tranny flush recently?!? that sounds exactly like what Nas told me about recently, he now needs a new tranny.....

WarmAndSCSI
    Maybe a stripped gear or something with the crank??
    Definitely none of those problems.

Check fluid level, fluid color/smell, reset ECU, if your mileage is above 30,000 and your transmission has never been serviced before, consider a fluid exchange/flush.

Quote Originally Posted by QnzMostWanted
    did u have a tranny flush recently?!? that sounds exactly like what Nas told me about recently, he now needs a new tranny.....
    no i haven't flushed it yet, probably should get it done soon :oops:

02 Mit. Galant 5 Spd -> 2010 Mit. Lancer Sportback 5 Spd -> (current) 2014 Mit Evo GSR 5 Spd

Quote Originally Posted by RedGalant2k1
    It may just need time to program from the battery problem. Give it a day or two. If it doesn't improve than the trans may need servicing.

How many miles on the car?

but yeah, i happened after the battery was charged again.... i'll wait it out for a day or two

Quote Originally Posted by WarmAndSCSI

Check fluid level, fluid color/smell, reset ECU, if your mileage is above 30,000 and your transmission has never been serviced before, consider a fluid exchange/flush.
    thank God, i got scared for a minute,
    it's at 73,000 now so i'm probably gonna get the flush done soon
    i assume i can reset just by having the battery disconnected for 10+ minutes (unless there's another way)

WarmAndSCSI
    Quote Originally Posted by run1206
    Quote Originally Posted by WarmAndSCSI

thank God, i got scared for a minute,
    it's at 73,000 now so i'm probably gonna get the flush done soon
    i assume i can reset just by having the battery disconnected for 10+ minutes (unless there's another way)
    Yep, correct about the battery disconnect.

The reason I say it couldn't be one of those problems is that "something with the crank" would lead me to believe you mean something like crank walk, which isn't a known issue on these cars.

And the automatic transmission doesn't have any "gears" to strip beside the diff gears and the planetary gears (and the little one that drives the speedo sensor). It's highly unlikely that you actually killed any of those :D

damn, didn't know we had planetary gears ( i feel so dumb :oops: ) gonna read up on that later tonight. i'm gonna go out and get the new battery

thanks all for the input, you guys are quick with responses :D :smt023