The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Paint questions...

Showing results 1 to 9 of 9
    Experienced TGC Member

Paint questions...

Alright. Im tired of seeing those damn swirl marks all over my f*ckin car. Its horrible. How can i get rid of them? Ive waxed the car, and it last only temporary. Ive contacted a couple of auto body places, and theyre telling me they want $3K to repaint the car. He also said they can wet sand it and buff for about $500. Is this last option a good deal? I really want to enter a couple of car shows this summer. But i cant be showing off a car that has more swirls than a soft ice cream cone. Will this wet sand and buff last?

That seems kind of steep for getting rid of swirl marks. You can easily do the job yourself for much MUCH cheaper. It just takes some time and TLC.

This may help... http://www.autopia-carcare.com/inf-p...sh-clinic.html
    2002 Galant GTZ
    1967 Cougar XR-7 w/289 c.i. (Project)

TGC Regular
    What you need is a "3 stage buff". You can get it done at a good detail shop or some body shops. They buff it with a wool pad, then a foam pad, then a very soft foam pad. Our shop does it for around $250-$300. It can make your car look like it was just painted. If you lived closer to me id do it for around $150.

Need some paint or bodywork done in Chicagoland or NW Indiana???.. http://www.alsautobodyexperts.com/

silverlightning
    A good orbital buffer and some polishing glaze should easily remedy that situation ;)

Experienced TGC Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ericbla03 View Post
    What you need is a "3 stage buff". You can get it done at a good detail shop or some body shops. They buff it with a wool pad, then a foam pad, then a very soft foam pad. Our shop does it for around $250-$300. It can make your car look like it was just painted. If you lived closer to me id do it for around $150.
    Ok, now how long will that last? Im only asking because i plan on entering a couple of shows this summer. And id like to have the paint look new for longer than a month or two. How long does the "3-stage buff" last?

TGC Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by 6G72Galant View Post
    Ok, now how long will that last? Im only asking because i plan on entering a couple of shows this summer. And id like to have the paint look new for longer than a month or two. How long does the "3-stage buff" last?
    It should stay swirl free for years provided that they do a good job and you keep your car waxed. What color is your car? Black?

What a lot of shops will do is just use a wool pad to get rid of scratches, and then not follow it up with the foam pads to save time. But if you do that the swirls from the wool pad will come back after time.

Also, what do you use to dry your car after you wash it? And what do you wash it with (sponge, wool mit, etc) ?

Need some paint or bodywork done in Chicagoland or NW Indiana???.. http://www.alsautobodyexperts.com/

Experienced TGC Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ericbla03 View Post
    It should stay swirl free for years provided that they do a good job and you keep your car waxed. What color is your car? Black?

What a lot of shops will do is just use a wool pad to get rid of scratches, and then not follow it up with the foam pads to save time. But if you do that the swirls from the wool pad will come back after time.

Also, what do you use to dry your car after you wash it? And what do you wash it with (sponge, wool mit, etc) ?
    My car is dark red. Stock its called Ultra Red Pearl. Normally i wash my car at the DIY wash, and ill dry it with a couple of micro fiber cloths. But ive been using the horse hair brushes at those carwashes [a big no-no], and ive heard thats what cause swirl marks also. If i wash my car at home, i just use a peanut sponge from a car parts store. To dust it off, i use one of those wool mits.

You are here entirely tooo much!! Serstylz2's Avatar
    I got my car repainted at MAACO and since then I use a Microfiber sponge to wash and The Absorber to dry it, no cotton or anything else has touched it. And I have 0% swirls on my car. If you get that good 3 stage buff and begin to wash it and dry it with the correct products they shouldn't return

TGC Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by 6G72Galant View Post
    My car is dark red. Stock its called Ultra Red Pearl. Normally i wash my car at the DIY wash, and ill dry it with a couple of micro fiber cloths. But ive been using the horse hair brushes at those carwashes [a big no-no], and ive heard thats what cause swirl marks also. If i wash my car at home, i just use a peanut sponge from a car parts store. To dust it off, i use one of those wool mits.

If you are talking about the big soapy brush at the car carwash, then yes, that is a big no no and will scratch your car up. I would ONLY use an Abosorber to dry off my car, its the most gentle and works very well. To wash it those "peanut" sponges are the best and wont leave scratches if they are clean.
    The most important..... do not "dust off" your car with anything... period. All you are doing is grinding the dirt/dust into the paint, which will leave light scratches. Rinse the loose dirt/dust off with water and wash it. I would never let one of those "california car dusters" touch a black car. And wool is just a no no.