The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Is my tranny dead?

Showing results 1 to 13 of 13

Is my tranny dead?

I was at work yesterday afternoon and all i need to do is go home drive 25 miles and sleep but when i was on my way something sounded like it snapped and non of my gears work any more its like every gear is in neutral. is my tranny dead? or is it just a small problem?

You are here entirely tooo much!! RAZ_76's Avatar
    Your torque converter took a crap. Need to have the transmission removed and the torque converter replaced.

WarmAndSCSI
    Check to see if the gear selector on top of the transmission is moving along with the shifter. Otherwise, the noise you heard was probably the tranny oil pump fracturing - I've done this before rolling into a turn lane at 40 mph, so it wouldn't surprise me at all.

Quote Originally Posted by RAZ_76 View Post
    Your torque converter took a crap.
    I highly doubt this... it would have been exhibiting problems up until that point unless he's putting down 400+ WHP.

Quote Originally Posted by WarmAndSCSI View Post
    Check to see if the gear selector on top of the transmission is moving along with the shifter. Otherwise, the noise you heard was probably the tranny oil pump fracturing - I've done this before rolling into a turn lane at 40 mph, so it wouldn't surprise me at all.

I highly doubt this... it would have been exhibiting problems up until that point unless he's putting down 400+ WHP.
    like he said above, check the gear selector first. if that's not the problem, then it probably is the torque convertor. mine took a crap a few months ago with no sign of problems before.
    how many miles on the car?
    From Boost Addicts to Carbon Fanatics™ www.socalautowerks.com

Censee: Im trying to pimp some hoes for money for the lsd. 3/28/2011
    Cali: Sig 3/28/2011

Quote Originally Posted by Cali View Post
    like he said above, check the gear selector first. if that's not the problem, then it probably is the torque convertor. mine took a crap a few months ago with no sign of problems before.
    how many miles on the car?
    its about 122k miles.. well ima have to check it later.. can any of u guys help me with this? im kinda stupid when it comes to this stuf

You are here entirely tooo much!! RAZ_76's Avatar
    I'm pretty sure it's the converter. At that many miles. If you are new at this, this means you will need to tow it to a transmission shop= expensive. They would have to remove a bunch of stuff, drop the transmission, replace the torque converter and put everything back. This is definitely not something you can do yourself if you don't have experience with cars.

WarmAndSCSI
    Regarding the torque converter, it would be helpful to know if it's a 4 cylinder or 6 cylinder Galant. The oil pump seems to be the weak point on the F4A51 (the auto in the 6 cyl. Galant). I've never seen a V6 torque converter give out before.

What's interesting about this conundrum is that a shattered oil pump and broken torque converter will exhibit the same exact external symptoms.

i have a 4 cyl. i have a feeling thats its really the converter.. oh man..how much do you guys think it costs vs geting a 3g eclipse transmission

WarmAndSCSI
    Well, you may need to end up replacing your whole transmission. The pump would have sucked the bits of broken torque converter into the rest of the transmission right before it died.

I'd say a manual swap would almost be cheaper if you're interested in having a properly-rebuilt or new automatic.

Well ive always wanted to swap it for a manual but i dunno how to do it.. where can i get the 3g eclipse tranny?

WarmAndSCSI
    A junkyard? Seriously, search up on this. Everything you need to know is like immediately available on this forum.

Experienced TGC Member 6G72gearhead's Avatar
    Getting an excessive acceleration ticket.

Sorry, thats my bet.
    RIP: Colin McRae, you will be missed.
    "I shall go before thee and make the crooked places straight."

2001 ES V6 M/T under construction
    1991 Volvo 244ti 300 whp daily driver
    www.gooichimotorsports.com