The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Damned PCV valve won't stop buzzing

Showing results 1 to 13 of 13

Damned PCV valve won't stop buzzing

The thing sounds like a bumblebee under my hood. I've replaced it twice and it continues to buzz. I've replaced the rubber hose with a silicone one, but other than that I haven't changed anything else. If I pinch off the hose it stops. Somebody please help me before I disconnect the damend thing and replace it with a breather. It's really beginning to piss me off :x

Thanks,
    Chip
    Chip

2000 Basalt Black Metallic GTZ
    (Paint Code: Porsche LC9Z)

Genuine experience carries a lot more credibility than the ability to answer a question.

Well, that little weighted disc inside that keeps the gases from backflowing is loose and if your engine vibrations are very prominant, I guess it can make your PCV rattle, lol. That sucks though. I would try pitching the PCV up or down (meaning more vertical or horizontal) b/c it does pivot in place to see if that would help minimize the buzzing. Good luck.

[size=10]<span style='color:white'>. . . .</span>

Thanks Gordon, I've tried moving it in every which direction. The disc isn't vibrating from engine vibration, it's being pulled in by the engine vacuum and vibrating when it's sucked in place against the case of the PCV valve. :evil:
    Chip

Genuine experience carries a lot more credibility than the ability to answer a question.

spray some oil in it
    [email protected] <- '01 ES V6 (detuned for daily commutes)

Black '94 Audi S4 soon RS2'd running 28 psi
    Chipset [X]|Injectors[X]|Turbo[X]|RS2 Manifold[X]|Bosch 3-BAR MAP[X]

Quote Originally Posted by FRCFD6
    spray some oil in it
    Doesn't it suck oil through it from the crankcase? I thought the purpose of it was to take the blowback oil from the crankcase, route it through and expel it into the intake where it's burned. Not that I won't try it, but it seems the damned thing should have plenty oil in it.

Thanks,
    Chip
    Chip

Nick VR4
    Not actual oil .....only the vapours from the engine to recycle them

Quote Originally Posted by Nick VR4
    Well it's worth a shot. Guess I'll get some WD-40 on the way home.

Chip
    Chip

Quote Originally Posted by Fishboy55
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick VR4
    Well it's worth a shot. Guess I'll get some WD-40 on the way home.

Chip
    OMG here's an idea. how about we switch pcv valves? u think that will work? i know my car is gonna go into the mechanics shop soon for some final work. maybe i can complain about this buzzing noise i get...well maybe after the commercial...

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

Sure, we can do that Allan. Thanks. Just let me know when you want to do the swap. In the meantime I'll try the WD40.

Chip
    Chip

Gilhuly
    I had the same problem. I bought a new PCV and it didn't do it anymore. I know what you mean, though. When a $4 part makes your car sound crappy uuuugghhhhhhh!

Quote Originally Posted by Gilhuly
    I had the same problem. I bought a new PCV and it didn't do it anymore. I know what you mean, though. When a $4 part makes your car sound crappy uuuugghhhhhhh!
    yea chip, good question. when u replaced it, did u replace it with the same brand? it could just be an compatibility with the brand. hell if we put mine into ur car, u might jsut find out its ur car lol. but yea its a good way to troubleshoot, try something that is proven to be quiet.

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

Quote Originally Posted by PinoyESV6
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilhuly
    yea chip, good question. when u replaced it, did u replace it with the same brand? it could just be an compatibility with the brand. hell if we put mine into ur car, u might jsut find out its ur car lol. but yea its a good way to troubleshoot, try something that is proven to be quiet.
    I replaced the stock one with a Purolator at 30,000 miles. The second one was a Fram they both buzz like shit, but believe it or not the WD40 helped, at least for the moment. With all the shit coming off my car at the moment, the PCV valve is a minor inconvenience.
    Chip

Well, I'm at 50k now and I know I'm overdue for a new one so I picked up one from the dealer. Cost me a finger for the PCV valve at $19 a pop; Glad the rubber seal for the motor oil cap was only $1.

BTW, I am ready to do that catch-can thing Pinoy posted awhile back about little car projects. I got 2 Fram G3 fuel filters (3/8" inlet/outlet) and I'm getting rid of the breathers.

[size=10]<span style='color:white'>. . . .</span>