The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: clearing codes

Showing results 1 to 12 of 12
    stkiflngaz

clearing codes

i removed the battery ground to reset the codes, now no ses light
    if i do this before inspection do you think ill pass?

thanks

You are here entirely tooo much!! RAZ_76's Avatar
    Why is the SES light coming on for?? Might have a better answer if I know why it comes up.

you should have gotten the code scanned. sure, you might pass inspection, but you dont really care what exactly is wrong with the car? i hope you dont go, pass inspection, and then break down on the way back home.

If you post stupid and incorrect information, you will get red nuggets.

stkiflngaz
    yeah i got the code scanned
    it was for p0400 - egr malfuction and
    p0421 - cat threshold bank 1

im going to fix it but i dont want a $135 ticket in the mean time
    and mafia i know i wont break down for these codes

Do they stick that thing up your tail pipe in NJ like they do in California?? If they do then you wont pass, even if the light is off.

in nj its an obd-ii test. if you clear the code and it really goes away for sure, then you're fine.

if you for example clear the code and get the car inspected before you give a code a chance to pop up, you might fail.

if u do fail, that at least buys you more time to fix the car. and depending on how much you spend to get it fixed, you might even get a waiver if u still fail.

but for the personal health of your car, i'd just go ahead and get it fixed. clearing the code and then continuing to clear it everytime it pops up isn't gonna fix the problem. its just like putting a bandaid on a gunshot wound

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

You are here entirely tooo much!! Serstylz2's Avatar
    I know in NY if you disconnect the battery they can't even get a reading from the OBD-2 unless u drive it 100 miles or so, which would bring the code right back up.

stkiflngaz
    yea that egr code is giving me problems and i need some more time...
    i took the egr valve off to clean it and put it back on but now its overheating when in traffic
    didnt do that before
    anyone have any knowledge bout this?
    only thing i can think is if i put the gasket on differently but i dont know if that would do it? any help would be great
    thanks

The overheating would be caused by the following. Bad thermostat, radiator cap needs to be replaced or you need a radiator flush and burp the system really good, get all the air out. Mine did that, every time I was waiting in drive thru, needle would start to go up, not too far but just past middle. Until you fix it, just turn the heater on to 4 when it goes up, it will bring it down. Set it to windshield so it's not blowing hot air in your face, unless is cold there.

with Jersey inspections, you won't pass if the code comes back up
    try to fix your car before inspection

02 Mit. Galant 5 Spd -> 2010 Mit. Lancer Sportback 5 Spd -> (current) 2014 Mit Evo GSR 5 Spd
    run1206's Rear Disc Tutorial
    run1206's CF Hood Resurface Tutorial

Quote Originally Posted by STKIFLNGAZ View Post
    i removed the battery ground to reset the codes, now no ses light
    if i do this before inspection do you think ill pass?

thanks
    No, it won't. As everyone said, you should have pulled the codes before you cleared them so you'd know what was wrong. But, the DMV scan tool checks to see when the ECU was last reset. If it's under 1,000 miles, they send you home and make you come back in 1000 miles.
    Chip

2000 Basalt Black Metallic GTZ
    (Paint Code: Porsche LC9Z)

Genuine experience carries a lot more credibility than the ability to answer a question.

stkiflngaz
    i did get the codes before... look above
    but it wasnt overheating before and i just took the egr off and put back on and now its is overheating.. errr
    im thinking your right that i have to burp the cooling sys because coolant came out when i took the egr valve off and air must have gotten in.. ill try that
    as for inspection im just gonna fail so i dont get a ticket and go back when i solve this

thanks fellaz for the insight so far