The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Passenger side airbag

Showing results 1 to 6 of 6

Passenger side airbag

Hey guys, I'm new to this forum. It's good to see all this activity.

I'd like to revisit a problem I've seen some older postings on. The dashboard padding is slowly separating from the passenger airbag on my '96, sullying an otherwise great looking interior. I can't help but think that this has happened to a lot of you. None of the body shops in my area what to touch this, stating their fears about liability issues.

I've seen some older posts on this forum that suggest taking the airbag out and re-gluing the the padding, but a number of replies also talked about the safety risks of having the airbag deploy while it's being worked on. I've also seen some discussions as to what kind of glue to use, but no first-hand success stories to give me confidence.

Do any of you have any success stories of doing this yourself? Or, are there any first-hand accounts of things not going as planned?

well my padding is coming off as well... so i wouldnt mind some info :) thanks for bringing this up and hopefuly we get some info

go to mitsubishi and get some info on how to safely disconnect the airbag and safely reconnect it. Or see if one of the techs would do it for you. Do what you need to do and take it back. i would recomend going to a fabric shop and getting adhesive that is meant for vinal.

1996 galant s
    finishing up my 2.4L DOHC, 10.5:1, precision sc60, meth injected MONSTER.

I did go to Mitsubishi some time ago and asked about this. They said there was nothing they could (or would?) do except sell me a new airbag.

I think you're right that a fabric shop would be a good place to get advice on the adhesive. The padding seems to be fairly rigid, so I'll be that a lot of adhesives would give way pretty quick.

I've no doubt that this would be a pretty simple and routine job if this "box" was anything but a darn airbag. I'm sure there is a "tech" out there somewhere who would be willing to do this, but finding him may be tough

PM manybrews and see what he says. he is a head tech at mitsubishi but i havent seen him on here in a while but he is worth a shot to PM.

1996 galant s
    finishing up my 2.4L DOHC, 10.5:1, precision sc60, meth injected MONSTER.

as long as you remove a battery terminal and pull the airbag fuse, there is no way it can deploy. I was in a hurry and completely disconnected my airbag module without removing the battery terminal or pulling fuses and neither deployed. I still have it unhooked.....as a side note, there is no srs light when you disconnect the module.