The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Ignition timing????

Showing results 1 to 4 of 4

Ignition timing????

Well my car is running kind of weird.Little or no pwer,starts then dies once on a cold start.While driving the rpms will not increase normally with it floored.At around 3000 rpms it starts to flutter with no acceleration.After a bit it then starts to increae normally.

Couple of questions.
    1: Where should the timing be set at the mark on the front lower cover?? At the first,second or third mark?
    2: What could cause an eratic idle??Sometimes it idles perfect.But then sometimes it will jump to alsmost 1500-2000 rpms and stay there.
    3: what does this plug go to in this pic??

4:What plug do I ground out to set the base timing??

Thanks for any suggestions.

the plug goes to something behind the solenoids. Idk what that is, but it looks like a smal cylinder and it has orange top
    God created turbo lag to give the v8's a brief moment of hope.

Build Thread

Proto
    1. Are you talking about the timing for the crank? If so theres a raised dash looking piece for the crank.
    2. It's common to be the IAC (idle air control valve) to go bad. Clean the TB with some tb cleaner which may clear it up.
    3. Check those 2 solenoids right there, if both are plugged in then it's one of the extra plugs which goes to nothing.

Both solenoids are plugged in.I dont see any thing else it might plug into around it.

Which mark on the plastic cover is the corerct timing mark??Theres the first one that looks like a T and then there is one mark at each side of the raised BTDC mark??Im talking about for setting the ignition timing not trying to set the timing belt.
    What plug is supposed to be grounded to be able to set base timing??

Im gonna see about finding another iacv ive already tried cleaning this one.
    Thanks for the help.
    Last edited by PogiGreg; 05-04-2008 at 11:20 PM