The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Car will not start

Showing results 1 to 7 of 7

Car will not start

I thought it was the battery but all the lights work, and i even tried to jump start it and the car won't start. It won't even crank. I checked the fuses in the dash and they're all fine. I checked the fuses under the hood and some of them are missing, specially the check engine light. So now, I don't know what is wrong because I get no check engine light. What could it be guys? A bad starter??? How can I find out. Please help.

Thanks.
    - 2002 Sentra SE-R Spec V (stock)
    - 1999 Mitsubishi Galant V6 (auto)
    "In the past, God overlooked such ignorance, but now He commands all people everywhere to repent. For He has set a day when He will judge the world with justice by the Man [Jesus Christ] whom God appointed. He has given proof of this to all men by raising Him from the dead." Acts 17:30-31.

My wife's brother in law is coming over to start the car. He says he can do it by hitting the starter motor with a pipe and a hammer. i've never heard of this. Is it safe? I know this will only temporarily fix the problem. I'm guessing the problem is one of 3 things:
    - ignition system
    - starter solenoid
    - starter motor
    "In the past, God overlooked such ignorance, but now He commands all people everywhere to repent. For He has set a day when He will judge the world with justice by the Man [Jesus Christ] whom God appointed. He has given proof of this to all men by raising Him from the dead." Acts 17:30-31.

Well, my friend's brother is a mechanic and he knows how to change starters. It's going to cost $75 for a rebuilt starter and $80 for labor, so I'm looking at $155-$160 total cost. Is that reasonable? I don't know how to do any of this stuff, so i'm left with no choice but to pay someone.

have u confirmed that the starter is the problem?

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

Quote Originally Posted by pinoyesv6 View Post
    have u confirmed that the starter is the problem?
    ^^X2...Yea it could just be the starter solenoid, which is a much cheaper part....
    Chip

2000 Basalt Black Metallic GTZ
    (Paint Code: Porsche LC9Z)

Genuine experience carries a lot more credibility than the ability to answer a question.

My friend hit the starter with a hammer and the car starter right up, but he said it would only start for a few days and it should get replaced. He hit the starter and not the solenoid. His brother came over and brought a completely rebuilt starter for the Galant and installed it and the car starts up like new. So i'm happy and I think I paid a fair price. Total cost was $155. I called Autozone earlier to get a quote on their starters and it was $150. Obviously, I got a better deal.

Nice deal. $155 for a starter installed is a good deal.
    Chip

2000 Basalt Black Metallic GTZ
    (Paint Code: Porsche LC9Z)

Genuine experience carries a lot more credibility than the ability to answer a question.