The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Squeal vs Squeek

Showing results 1 to 10 of 10
    Senior TGC Member

Squeal vs Squeek

Which one is normal and which one means you have a brake problem. I've heard brakes that make a really high pitched ear piercing squeek that gives you the same sensation as fingernails on a chalkboard, and brakes that make a lower pitched squeal that sounds more like running your wet finger around the lip of a crystal glass.
    "Daisy tumbled short of his dreams, not through her own fault, but because of the colossal vitality of his illusion... No amount of fire or freshness can challenge what a man will store up in his ghostly heart. " - F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby

"I have not failed 700 times. I have not failed once. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work." - Thomas Edison

i get both. i get the high pticed ones when my brakes are dirty. a quick fix is to hit it up with brake cleaner. i get the other noise when my brakes are wet but that goes away when i give it a chance to dry

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

Senior TGC Member
    Just wondering since my brakes do both as well. The high pitched one usually comes after a thorough rainstorm, and the lower pitched one I get from a hard high speed stop. I just wash my brakes and everything is ok so I didn't know if there really was a brake problem or not. By the way, how is it people know how much pad life is left without removing their wheels? I personally have never been able to do so but I have met people who have sworn it's the easiest thing in the world to do.
    "Daisy tumbled short of his dreams, not through her own fault, but because of the colossal vitality of his illusion... No amount of fire or freshness can challenge what a man will store up in his ghostly heart. " - F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby

"I have not failed 700 times. I have not failed once. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work." - Thomas Edison

just look at the thickness of the pad left. that should show u. another thing is with the brake pedal play. meaning if the pad is thinner, ur gonna have to push the pedal deeper in so that the piston can go deeper and put pressure on the pads...

just changed my pads a couple days ago. i can't believe how the stock pads are. their not like aftermarkets. they have holes in the center and a metal cover , instead of a solid metal backing. and you have a big shim running to each side. 2 shims instead of four. plus no brake quiet. no wonder are cars have the worst brake noises. cosidering the vibration going to the metal plates on the back of the pads and the long shims.

didn't last very long 35k. i would suggest changing the stock pads and use some brake quiete on the shims and on the back of the pads. no more funny noises so far.
    2001 I4 White ES
    Injen intake
    Arospeed bomb
    Magnecore wires
    Denso iridiums
    Gdi stb
    Alpine cd
    polk components
    2 alpine 10s
    2003 17inch eclipse gt rims
    Yokohama tires

Senior TGC Member
    Wow your brakes lasted 35k? I have already changed mine on average of once every 10k up front, still going in the rear.

Quote Originally Posted by Rallifan
    Wow your brakes lasted 35k? I have already changed mine on average of once every 10k up front, still going in the rear.
    mine at at 33...

Senior TGC Member
    Jeez...time to quit spraying

Mine went to 40k, and I never had a shudder or a vibration either. Just lucky I guess.
    Chip

2000 Basalt Black Metallic GTZ
    (Paint Code: Porsche LC9Z)

Genuine experience carries a lot more credibility than the ability to answer a question.

Galant_01
    What has happened to mine, at least this last time (I have had alot of brake problems!) was I had glazed pads! I do alot of high speed braking and I guess even with the Cross Drilled/Slotted Rotors did not get the heat out fast enough. I was getting both low and high noises also. Now I scuffed up the pads again and put more brake quiet and it helped alittle bit but they still sound like ass! I think I am just going to switch the pads with the new ones I already bought! Maybe that will work? Our brakes are the worst I have ever had on any car - maintence wise. In 56,000 miles I have gone through 3 sets of rotors, and 6 sets of pads! Now that is getting pricey!