The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Had a thought the other day when thinking about fiberglass...

Showing results 1 to 13 of 13
    Experienced TGC Member fliegendaffe's Avatar

Had a thought the other day when thinking about fiberglass...

they other day when i was thinking about how i was going to fiberglass my trunk, i looked at my doors and thought about fiberglassing the fabric part of my doors and painting it to match my radio bezel and all. what would your guys' thoughts be? i wouldn't be doing my fiberglassing till next spring.

i seen it done on other cars, but they usually have like tvs in them etc.. I dont think it will look that great, what you can do is fiberglass everything on the door panel but the fabric, and insert new fabric and have the rest painted. you can even fiberglass your speakers popping out which looks great. Thats what i was going to do, my guy quoted me $500 for all my interior door glassed and speakers molded in all 4 doors but i'm done with the car so i said screw it.

Last edited by IceDouTGaLanT; 08-28-2008 at 01:15 AM
    00 Galant ES Turbo/5-Speed
    13 GTR

i was just originally thinking of rewrapping it in suede (the same thing i'm going to put over the glass in my trunk) since there is stains on the fabric from when my father had the car, but i thought i remember reading that is was lil bit of a pain in the ass

I hear suede is kinda tricky to lay down, but im sure with time you can get it. Id try a smaller spot 1st. I always wanted a suede roof and rear deck,but never had time to experiment. I have some CF im just going to wrap my ceiling with the fabric, i seen it on couple cars in shows and it look pretty good, even though its not glossy.
    13 GTR

or do you think instead of suede, use CF over the glass?

if your know how to lay CF, CF is hard you got to sand and all that stuff. Maybe ask someone who works with cf like cali or eric for better explanation
    13 GTR

You are here entirely tooo much!! fatal1's Avatar
    someone on here years ago glassed the cloth part of the door panels and color matched them to the car along with the other pieces on the interior trim...i forgot who but im sure its on here somewhere....cali has or had the cloth part in cf actually red cf if i remember correctly...those pics were more recent...i dont think his final product used the red cf panels i think he just wrapped them with the same material as his seats now but those pis are floating around here as well if you want to get some more ideas

Most anything fabric (except CF) is rather easy to laydown.

Experienced TGC Member Dominicano's Avatar
    If you want do do your fabric part I would think you would not need to fiberglass it at all. You should be able to use the liquid right on the fabric itself to harden it then proceed to bondo and sand. You follow the same process as if you where going to do a piece of fleece material.

Quote Originally Posted by Dominicano View Post
    If you want do do your fabric part I would think you would not need to fiberglass it at all. You should be able to use the liquid right on the fabric itself to harden it then proceed to bondo and sand. You follow the same process as if you where going to do a piece of fleece material.
    i know this, but still, the finish product is still called fiberglass which is what i was referring to

TGC Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by fliegendaffe View Post
    i know this, but still, the finish product is still called fiberglass which is what i was referring to
    Who calls it fiberglass when there is no fiberglass used?

Need some paint or bodywork done in Chicagoland or NW Indiana???.. http://www.alsautobodyexperts.com/

then what is it called eric? even when i used fleece we still called it fiberglass.

TGC Regular
    I know a lot of people still call it fiberglass, but it still drives me crazy. I guess its just one of my pet peeves.

Some people would call it a composite construction. Because you use several resins and fillers to make it, but no actual fiberglass cloth/mat.

For example ive made speaker enclosures with wood, Fleece and polyester resin, and then stiffened the inside with "milkshake", which is just resin mixed with a thixotropic filler (such as cab-o-sil / fumed silica). I would call this a "composite subwoofer enclosure"
    Last edited by ericbla03; 08-28-2008 at 11:17 AM

Need some paint or bodywork done in Chicagoland or NW Indiana???.. http://www.alsautobodyexperts.com/